⠀⠀02. back so soon?⠀⠀

BAKING HAD A special place in Y/N's heart

BAKING HAD A special place in Y/N's heart. The cleaning up that came afterwards though? Not so much. Unfortunately for her, those two things came in a package.

The girl sighed as she scrubbed at a food colouring stain with a damp cloth, but the cursed thing wouldn't go no matter how hard she tried. She'd have to go to the store and get a strong cleaning agent for this.

Perhaps I'll see if the corner store has any on the way home.

Right as she set the cloth aside, the golden bell above the door jingled, indicating that a customer had walked in. Upon lifting her gaze, it didn't take her long to recognise who it was—she couldn't forget the detective from yesterday who'd ordered so many things that she'd been forced to come in early today just to bake everything she'd run out of.

Sometimes, she really considered hiring a helper.

He strode in with his hands in his pockets, head held high with a lollipop sticking out of his mouth.

Why was he back so soon? Y/N didn't feel like dealing with him all over again.

"Good afternoon," she greeted, forcing a smile. She wasn't usually this bitter towards customers, but he was definitely an exception. "I didn't expect to see you so soon."

Ranpo stopped in front of the counter, taking his lollipop out of his mouth to speak. "Well, everything I bought yesterday finished, so I'm here to restock."

Y/N blinked as slowly, her mind properly registered what he'd just said.

What?! He finished all that in one day?!

She stared at him in sheer disbelief while he began to list all the delicacies he wanted—cookies, donuts, and God knew what else. At that point, Y/N was piling whatever came in her grasp, and Ranpo seemed to be completely alright with it.

He then paused with his order, asking the girl, "By the way, what's the special for today?"

"It says over there," she replied, pointing to the display at the opposite end from her.

Ranpo whined, "I don't want to look back! Just tell me what it is."

Y/N sighed, not in the mood to get into a pointless and petty quarrel over his immature behaviour. "It's a lemon meringue pie."

"Ooh!" Ranpo clapped his hands together, eyes lighting up at the mere sound of it. "Okay. I want two of those too."

Still taken aback by Ranpo's appetite, Y/N piled all of what he'd ordered into two separate bags. (At least it hadn't taken four this time.)