⠀⠀bonus, part 2⠀⠀

FOR A FEW moments, absolute silence filled the air

At first, what Ranpo said flew over Y/N's head. His words repeated over and over in her mind like a broken radio of some sort though, and finally, at the end of it all, she understood exactly what he'd just asked. At the realisation, the blood rushed to her face instantly, the breeze no longer working to keep her skin cool.

"H–huh?"

Y/N would've thought she'd heard him wrong, if not for the ring resting in his palm.

It was strange to think that three years had passed, and the girl still couldn't put a label on their relationship. She loved Ranpo and he loved her too, but they'd never actually explicitly discussed what they were—perhaps, they hadn't needed to. It seemed that they, along with everyone around them, had just silently agreed that the two were together and a couple.

But this... this was definitely a label. The biggest one, at that.

She almost doubted whether Ranpo was serious about it or not, not because she didn't want to accept the proposal—the word yes was practically on her lips—but rather because as stupid as it was to admit, she'd always just assumed that they wouldn't be permanent because it was never made official.

"Y/N...?" Ranpo slowly questioned. The skip in his heart was a weird feeling, but admittedly... Y/N's silence unnerved him. He knew she'd say yes. He'd deduced it. Surely... surely he couldn't have been wrong in thinking so, could he?

"You... really are serious about this?" the girl asked hesitantly. "I mean, you'd be stuck with me forever. You know that, right? A–and I still don't get what we are, so I just never thought you'd want to..."

"This is about 'that'?" Ranpo's eyes softened. "Y/N, you're stupid sometimes."

Then slowly, without waiting for an answer, Ranpo lifted her hand and slid the ring onto her ring finger, the small toy making it down her finger just past halfway.

Y/N struggled to form any words other than, "Ranpo... you didn't even let me answer."

"I already knew what it'd be," he replied. Though the rest of the Agency wouldn't have picked up on the intended meaning of the sentence, Y/N did; it was reassurance from his side—I knew what your answer would be, but I'm still here in front of you proposing, aren't I?

Y/N, with her face as hot as ever, lifted her hand to look at the ring, which barely made it to the base of her finger due to its small diameter.

She thought back to a handful of hours ago, when Kunikida had stopped at a gas station to refuel the van, giving everyone the opportunity to take a well-needed break and stretch their muscles.

"There's something I need to buy," Ranpo had said, hopping out and grabbing ahold of Y/N's hand, dragging her into the convenience store beside the station.