Chapter 56|Riddles

Notes of music in the air, we used a potion to make people lose their hair

We danced and drank

For the first time in a while I was happy and I have you to thank

Love, Loki

Loki had arranged a scavenger hunt for me! I smiled softy at the thought of Loki planning this date for me. My nose scrunched up as I started thinking. Tourmaline shrunk down and hopped onto my shoulders. I scratched behind her ear before entering my room.

I quickly got ready for my date with Loki, re-braiding the flowers tightly into my hair. There were four thistles representing those who I had lost. My aunt Astra, my uncle Eryi, my father, and my mother. I studied my reflection in the mirror. I no longer looked like the elfling who was forced to live with the Avengers. Now, I was an Avenger myself and I looked mature enough for it. For one thing, I had stopped growing and now stood at five feet and five inches. 

After a nice shower and a change of clothes, I was finally ready. Tourmaline curled around my neck like a scarf while I made my way to the ballroom. In the ballroom was Thor, holding a sealed envelope. "It is time I teach you a traditional Asgardian dance, called For the Dancing and the Dreaming."  I watched as Thor took a stance. I copied his movements as music started playing over JARVIS's speakers. Once Thor was satisfied with my dance skills he gave me the envelope. 

Leaves of green instead of grey

A piece of nature surrounded by concrete

In the center of the city

Love, Loki

Tourmaline hopped onto my head, body curled around my horns. The dragon then snuggled into my hair. I ignored her napping on my head while I tried working out the clue. Loki was obviously talking about a park, but which one? There were tons in New York City and none of them were particularly special to us. I read the note again, looking deeper into the words. I could just be overthinking it, but it was not in Loki's nature to write things without flourishes. He was the god of stories, after all. Have you considered a park in the center of the city? Tourmaline said. I could practically hear her rolling her eyes. There's one named Central Park, isn't there? I confirmed the answer to the clue after Tourmaline's snarky response. You finally figured it out.

Dark blue magic shimmered around Tourmaline as I cast an illusion spell. It made me take on the form of a human, basically just erasing my horns, fangs, and pointed ears. It wasn't completely necessary, seeing as the world of magic and elves had been open to humans for half a year now, but I wasn't an ordinary elf. I was the famous superhero, Eclipse. 

Tourmaline was quickly turned into a black cat, the collar the same choker as she usually wears. I also left her eyes purple, seeing as if the illusion was too complicated I wouldn't be able to hold onto it for long in the daytime.

Once the matter of disguising myself to go outside the tower was resolved, I ventured toward Central Park. Tourmaline had settled herself back on my shoulders as without the horns she didn't have anything to curl around. It was a mild spring day with small bursts of wind here and there. A grin spread across my face as I walked along the pavement. Sure, New York City wasn't nearly as free of pollution as Stardust Grove, but it was still nice leaving the tower for something other than a mission.