Chapter 20|The Journey, Part 2

I woke up to the brothers already taking down camp at sunrise. I yawned and padded over to Tourmaline, who was stretching out her wings. Loki shoved my tent into my backpack, which he took on our journey. The ground swayed beneath me. I was getting weaker. I didn't have much time left. Tourmaline wrapped her tail around my waist, steadying me. 

The boys finished taking down camp. Thor raised Mjolnir and prepared to fly while Loki climbed onto Tourmaline's back. Her black scales glittered in the early morning sunlight. Her scales weren't pure black, with dark blue scales mixed in. Tourmaline lifted me up with her tail and gently set me down on Loki's lap. I blushed and pulled up hood of my cloak. Tourmaline jumped up into the air and climbed higher with each powerful flap of her outstretched wings. I soon fell asleep to the consistent flapping of wings.

***

Loki's POV

I cradled Thistle in my arms. She was getting weaker by the hour, and I feared she wouldn't survive much longer. Tourmaline wasn't doing very well either, even though she insisted she was fine I could tell she could fall out of the sky any moment. It was her determination to keep her rider alive that kept her going. I hoped we were close to Thistle's village, as I wasn't sure we would survive the journey much longer. 

Soon the quartet spotted an outcropping of land on the horizon. As we got closer I realized only I could see through the murky horizon. It was covered in cloaking spells, meant for magical folk only. Good thing I was trained in magic. Tourmaline perked up and burst with energy. It seemed we were reaching our destination. Thistle's eyes fluttered open. She blinked in confusion, then turned her head to the horizon. "We're here." She said solemnly. 

We landed on the rocky beach, scaring a few seagulls. Tourmaline proceeded to walk towards the forest shrouded in shadows. Thistle struggled to stay awake, possibly hoping to keep herself alert. This was her former home, where her father was killed. Thor landed and walked along Tourmaline, Mjolnir poised to defend us. 

A stone wall laden with vines and moss stopped us in our tracks. A large set of wooden doors reinforced with iron were wedged between the break in walls. Two guards stood at attention. They were wearing armor with a mixture of metal, creating a swirling pattern. Both of the guards carried spears.

"Halt!" The one on the left yelled, "What business do you have here?" It took me a second to realize that they spoke in elvish, due to All-speak. Thor stepped forward. "We mean you and your village no harm. We have just come seeking to heal our friend." "Then why do you raise your hammer in defense? Do you wish to start a brawl?" The one of the right said. "Brother, put down your weapon." I hissed. 

"And where did you get that dragon? They went extinct five hundred years ago!" The guard on the left questioned. "Our friend is a dragon rider, and this is her dragon. Now please let us in for she is on her deathbed." I answered. "Dragon rider, eh? Arcus, go fetch the queen. She'll wish to see for herself." The guard on the right left, while the one on the right stroked his beard thoughtfully. "I hope you don't mind waiting. While you do, we'll need everyone in your party to touch this iron to make sure you're not a threat." The guard produced a ring from his pocket and held it out. 

Thor plucked it out of the guard's hands and passed it to me. I took it and gave it to Thistle. She hesitantly stretched out her index finger to poke the ring. Thistle winced in pain and withdrew her hand. The ring left a scalding red mark on her finger where she touched it. I passed the ring back to Thor, who gave it to the elf. He scowled, pocketing the ring. "You're trying to harbor a fairy." He accused. Thor and I looked at each other in confusion. "What do you mean? Our friend is an elf." I stated. "Only fae can be burned by iron." The guard raised his spear towards us. 

Thistle trembled, wrapping her cloak tighter around herself. I placed my hand on hers to reassure her. Everything will be okay, darling. I told her telepathically. Thistle's green eyes slid up to meet mine. I smiled softly. 

The guard who left earlier, Arcus, returned with another elf in tow. She held an elegant and powerful air around her. Both guards knelt before her, weapons placed across their chests as a sign of fealty. The female elf touched the flowers braided into her ivory hair. 

The queen looked up Tourmaline, then Thor, then at me and the elf hiding in a cloak clutched in my arms. "Hello, I am Queen Snowdrop of Stardust Grove," She said cordially, "What brings you here?" "Our friend, the dragon rider, is very ill. We were told you could cure her." Thor explained. "May I see her?" Queen Snowdrop asked. I slid off of Tourmaline's back and peeled off Thistle's hood. The surrounding elves gasped. Tears formed in the queen's eyes. "Thistle?" she sashayed over to get a better look. "Snowdrop?" Thistle croaked. Queen Snowdrop hugged Thistle and lifted her out of my arms. "Cousin! It's been so long!" she cried. Thistle wrapped her arm around her long lost cousin. "You're squeezing... too hard..." Thistle choked out. 

Queen Snowdrop let go of the female elf. "I'm sorry. I just really missed you." Thistle nodded as she heaved over in a fit of coughs. "Oh stars, what did you say she was sick with?" Snowdrop asked, worry in her icy blue eyes. "Moonfever." I held onto Thistle to help her maintain her balance. The female elf's eyes went wide with fear. "Let's go to the Infirmary. We can talk later, but she needs immediate medical attention." 

The guards opened up the gates, letting us into Stardust Grove.