Chapter 19|The Journey, Part 1

Loki's POV

Loki entered the living room where the Avengers were enjoying one of their rare days off. Steve was sitting in a chair talking to Thor. His blue eyes met Loki's. "Brother, it's nice to see you around the tower, instead of Lady Thistle's chambers."

"I'm merely taking care of her while she is ill, as a friend should." He responded, his voice tactful. Loki wanted to say he was her boyfriend, a Midgardian term, but they hadn't had any time to discuss it before Thistle had fallen ill.

"You could use a break, come, sit down." Thor offered. "I'm afraid I cannot, for I came strictly to discuss something."

"What do you need, Reindeer Games?" Tony asked. Although Loki could tell he still didn't like the jotun male, he was warming up to him and his pranks. Especially if they weren't on him. "Thistle has Moonfever, a deadly disease. The only cure is in her old village, so I am requesting to take her there on Tourmaline." Loki explained quickly.

"You can't leave the tower, Loki. Especially since you two snuck out and Thistle got hurt." Steve said. "But she will die if we stay, so, I will go with or without your permission." "As much as it hurts me, I'm on Loki's side. I'm surprised he even asked for permission." Tony said. "Tony's right," Natasha commented. "But who's saying he'll even come back? Thistle is in no condition to fight back," Clint wondered, "Tourmaline could probably stop him but she's too unpredictable. She doesn't like to follow orders." "I could go with them, to keep Loki out of trouble, and to make sure Thistle and Tourmaline stay safe." Loki scanned the Avengers, carelessly discussing his fate in front of him. 

"We've decided. You can go, on the condition that Thor goes with you." Steve announced. Loki rolled his eyes but accepted the offer. "It's a deal then." Thor hopped up from his chair excitedly. "Excellent. I will go pack for the journey. When shall we leave, brother?" Thor grinned widely as if they were going on a leisure camping trip instead of a life-saving quest. "Today, if Tourmaline is up to it," Loki answered.

I am, a voice said in his head. Loki blinked. Normally the black dragon just had Thistle relay her words. The dragon slid through an open vent in the ceiling. I'm always ready to save that dumb ass elf. Loki clapped his hands together. Thistle would have a chance to live, assuming the elves would help them. They have to help us, we're princes of Asgard. Loki thought to himself. But he knew deep down that that wouldn't mean shit to the elves. 

***

Thistle's POV

I curled up in Loki's arms, my cloak wrapped around me as we soared toward my former home. Thor was flying beside Tourmaline because even in her full size she could only carry so much weight. Loki tucked a strand of hair behind my pointed ear. Tourmaline still knew the way to her hatch place, the forests outside my village, but it was still a long journey. If we were quick, a couple of days of flying with no breaks. If we weren't, at least a week. Except I didn't have a week. I could slowly feel my body getting weaker and weaker from Moonfever. 

I sneezed softly, and Loki cuddled me closer. "Hang on darling. You'll be fine." Loki tensed up as a gust of wind hit us. I could tell he was nervous about riding Tourmaline without me steering. Tourmaline's scales were slippery and one could easily fall off. Of course, it would help if I had a saddle. "It's okay. She won't let us fall." I reassured him. Loki smiled down at me. Stars, I wanted to kiss him. But we hadn't even been on a first date yet, and we weren't officially courting each other. 

Tourmaline landed on a small outcropping of rock. It was the last place we could take a break, as the rest of the journey was open ocean. While the boys were setting up camp, Tourmaline set a small fire to keep us warm against the cold, salty water. I wrapped my cloak tighter around me and fought back a wave of nausea. Thor plopped down on the other side of the fire, Mjolnir at his side. 

"So, Lady Thistle, how are excited to visit your home?" I stiffened, and Tourmaline curled around me noticing my fear. "It's not my home anymore. Not after they banished me." I said, trying to keep the memories from flooding back. "Thor, you oaf." Loki hissed, gracefully sitting next to me and my dragon. "It's okay, Loki. The memories are just painful, but Thor wouldn't no that." I smiled reassuringly. 

"Why did they banish you, if you are okay with me asking?" Thor asked curiously, careful not to overstep boundaries. "My father committed treason, so my aunt had him executed and me banished." I explained quickly. I coughed, causing a murky black liquid to drip down my mouth. I wiped it off with my cloak. Loki looked over with concern, but relented when I assured him I was fine. 

Thor was about to ask another question but Loki cut him off. "She doesn't want to talk about it." The conservation shifted but soon died out, leaving everyone to retire for the evening. I curled up next to Tourmaline in our tent, thinking back to my time on the run, and how things had changed in just a few months. I rolled my eyes after hearing Thor start snoring. Soon after Loki left their tent for ours, which had considerably less snoring. Just a dragon whose sneezes set things on fire. Tony had been so mad when she got a cold. I giggled at the memory of Steve following us around with a fire extinguisher, mumbling something about fire safety. Clint hadn't really minded, he just liked roasting marshmallows on the small fires. 

Loki lied down next to me and Tourmaline. He muttered something about escaping Thor's snores and rolled over. Before he did, I could see his face burning bright red. Still, we all fell asleep. 

***

Happy Pride months gays! Stay safe with all the riots/protests and COVID-19! Remember, black lives matter. Take care of yourselves. 

~le author aka Ash