First Christmas with Baby Girl

So, I know I'm breaking my rules but when @BlackWolfKaiori asked me to do a Christmas story, I decided to go for it in the spirit of Christmas. I'll be getting started on the other requests tomorrow, starting with @shinymegaumbreon's request. Merry Christmas everyone, happy new year, stay safe and be kind. Thank you for your support and kindness. Love Sunset. Enjoy

Set after bringing Sakura home, Ash and Gladion are struggling to get Sakura to sleep. But thankfully, Delia is coming and she has a few tricks to help...

Leading up to Christmas, having a new baby in the house was both rewarding and exhausting. Ash and Gladion had learnt that Sakura was a bubbly and giggling baby who loved to be held and touch things with her hands. She adored the Pokémon and the Pokémon adored her but when the first night rolled around, Ash and Gladion had learnt how severe Sakura's neglect had been.

She was afraid to be alone in the dark and she struggled to stay asleep for more than a couple of hours, often waking up crying and screaming. Maria had explained to Ash and Gladion that because she was left alone for long periods by her mother and now that she was living in a new environment, she would struggle to sleep comfortably.

So, Ash and Gladion tried everything they could think of to help Sakura feel comfortable and secure, even letting Umbreon and Bayleef sleep near her window so they could provide light and a soothing Sweet Scent to help her sleep. But by the time the twenty-third of December had rolled around, Sakura still hadn't settled and Ash and Gladion were exhausted.

Gladion walked out of her room for the fourth time that night, carrying an empty bottle in his hand.

"Is she okay?" Ash asked as he held out a cup filled with hot tea.

"The Moomoo milk calmed her down and she went back to sleep," Gladion said in a flat voice as he put the empty bottle on the sink. "I don't want any tea."

Ash nodded as he threw away the tea before putting the cup in the sink.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"No, I'm not okay," Gladion snapped. Ash looked at him. Gladion sighed, his eyes filling with tears.

"I'm sorry Ash," he said. "I'm not angry. I'm just frustrated. I hate to hear her cry like that. Lillie used to cry like that after she was attacked by Nihilego. Saki sounds so scared. I know she has to learn to sleep by herself but I just want to go in there and sleep beside her so she knows we're not going anywhere."

"I know, me too," Ash said as he pulled Gladion into a hug. "But she's still getting used to this. This is new for all of us but it's going to be okay. We just have to keep trying, okay?"

Gladion nodded before resting his forehead against Ash's.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," Ash smiled, kissing Gladion just as Sakura started to cry and scream again. Ash and Gladion sighed sadly.

"My turn," Ash smiled. "I'll try the lullaby again. That always seems to do the trick."

Gladion nodded as Ash released him before going into Sakura's room.

"Hey baby girl," Gladion heard Ash say. "Are you feeling scared? It's okay to be scared. But Daddy and I promise you're safe, baby girl."

Gladion smiled as he heard Ash start to sing before going to the couch and placing his head in his hands, closing his eyes as he listened to Ash's humming.

"Pika?"

Gladion opened his eyes to see Pikachu and Mimikyu looking up at him.

"You two worried about her too?" he asked as he sat up, leaning back so Pikachu and Mimikyu could jump to his lap. They nodded as they curled up against Gladion.