027

The next Hogsmeade weekend comes in mid-January and, despite not having the Golden Egg figured out at all, Harry comes along. He tells Hermione that he's almost there, but Cameron doesn't say anything about the fact that he definitely isn't. She knows that he wants to try and find Hagrid. He hadn't been coming to the door of his hut at all and nobody had seen him all week.

Eventually, they end up in the Three Broomsticks. They go up to the bar, no sign of Hagrid, and order Butterbeers.

"Doesn't he ever go into the office?" Hermione whispers. "Look!" In the mirror behind the bar, they see the reflection of Ludo Bagman. He was talking quickly to a group of goblins who all looked majorly unimpressed. He spots Harry and stands up immediately, his grin fixed firmly in place.

"Harry! How are you? Been hoping to run into you. Everything going all right?" he says joyfully.

"Fine, thanks," Harry replies simply.

"Wonder if I could have a quick, private words, Harry?" Bagman asks. "You couldn't give us a moment, you three, could you?"

"Er— okay," Ron agrees. The three of them trail off to find a table. Cameron watches Bagman and Harry closely, her suspicions of the man rising with the minute. Harry looks rather uncomfortable, but soon Bagman is dashing out of the door, the goblins following quickly behind him.

"What did he want?" Cameron asks once he sits down.

"He offered to help me with the Golden Egg," Harry says, scrunching his nose up slightly.

"He shouldn't be doing that," Hermione exclaims, looking scandalised. "He's one of the judges! Anyway, you've already worked it out, haven't you?"

"Er... nearly," Harry lies. Cameron's eyes dart over to him and she gives him a shy smile.

Hermione's face has morphed into one of deep disappointment. "Well, I don't think Dumbledore would like it if he knew Bagman was trying to persuade you to cheat. I hope he's trying to help Cedric as much!"

"He's not, I asked," Harry answers.

"Who cares if Diggory's getting help?" Ron asks with a scoff. Cameron gives him a swift kick under the table.

"Don't be rude," she chastises.

Hermione takes a sip of her Butterbeer. "Those goblins didn't look very friendly. What were they doing here?"

"Looking for Crouch, according to Bagman," Harry shrugs. "He's still ill. Hasn't been into work."

Ron snorts. "Maybe Percy's poisoning him," he suggests. "Probably thinks if Crouch snuffs it he'll be made head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation."

Hermione shoots Ron a dirty look as Cameron laughs into her Butterbeer to avoid her scolding.

"Funny, though, goblins looking for Mr Crouch. They'd normally deal with the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures."

"They're probably looking for an interpreter," Cameron shrugs. "Crouch speaks, like, a million languages."

"Worrying about poor ickle goblins, now, are you?" Ron teases. "Thinking of starting up S.P.U.G. or something? Society for the Protection of Ugly Goblins?"