019

December brings the chill right into the bones of the castle. Cameron is grateful for every fire she passes and every warming spell she can muster. Wind and sleet are common statements of the weather as the month wears on. Cameron tries her best not to image how the Beauxbatons students must feel in their silky robes. Many of them had invested in cloaks and scarves when they'd gotten the chance, finally realising just how cold it can get in Scotland. She also tried not to think of how rough the ship must be during the night when the winds pitch up a notch and the entire boat seems to quake with the force.

Care of Magical Creatures is getting worse with the weather. The Skrewts haven't calmed down, instead there are only ten of them left and they're just getting bigger.

"I'm not sure if they hibernate or not," Hagrid says as they shiver in the cold air. "Thought we'd jus' try and see if they fancied a kip... we'll just settle 'em down in these boxes..."

There are large pillowed boxes laid out and nobody in the class seems particularly excited about the idea of forcing the Skrewts into them.

"We'll jus' lead 'em in here an' put the lids on, and we'll see what happens."

By the end of the lesson, the entire class had learnt three things; the Skrewts don't hibernate, Hagrid yelling 'don't panic' repeatedly doesn't stop people from panicking, and Draco Malfoy screams like a girl.

"Don't frighten him now!" Hagrid shouts as Harry and Cameron are backed into the wall of his cabin while their sparks just hold off the final advancing Skrewt. "Jus' try an' slip the rope 'round his sting, so he won' hurt any o' the others!"

"Yeah, we wouldn't want that," Cameron yells back sarcastically.

"Well, well, well... this does look like fun."

Rita Skeeter leans against Hagrid's garden fence with an ugly magenta cloak with a furry purple collar. Her handbag is hanging over her arm.

"Oh, if it couldn't get any worse," Cameron groans. Hagrid launches forward and flattens the final Skrewt. He slips a loop of rope around the sting.

"Who're you?" Hagrid asks gruffly.

"Rita Skeeter, Daily Prophet reporter," Rita replies, beaming.

"Thought Dumbledore said you weren' allowed inside the school anymore," Hagrid mentions as he gets off the Skrewt and leads him over to the others. Cameron snorts and Rita pretends like she didn't hear him.

"What are these fascinating creatures called?"

"Blast-Ended Skrewts," Hagrid grunts.

"Really? I've never heard of them before... where do they come from?" Hagrid's face turns red under his beard and Cameron and Hermione exchange a glance.

"They're very interesting, aren't they guys?" Cameron says. "Aren't they, Harry?"

"Oh, yeah... very interesting," Harry nods.

"Oh, Harry! You're here! So you like Care of Magical Creatures, do you? One of your favourite lessons?"

"Yes," Harry answers certainly. Hagrid beams at him.