008

(Any dialogue written in italics (apart from spells) is in Bulgarian!)

Before breakfast, while everyone else is still getting ready, Harry grabs a spare piece of parchment and scribbles a small letter. He leaves a little note on top of Cameron's work telling her that he went to the Owlery before setting off. Upstairs, Hermione and Cameron are worrying about him.

"He seems a lot more angry than three years ago," Hermione says anxiously, their slight disagreement from the night before forgotten.

"Rightly so," Cameron says, sighing slightly. "He's got a lot on his shoulders. Every year his burden seems to grow."

"He only really seems to listen to you. His soft spot," the bushy haired girl suggests as she tightens her tie. Her voice becomes slightly teasing at the end.

"Come off it," Cameron scoffs. "Soft spot my arse. We're friends."

"You can't even lie to me and tell me that you both don't feel the same way," Hermione grins. "Harry likes you, Cami. And you clearly like him."

Cameron's cheeks flush red and Hermione lets out a triumphant cheer.

"Seriously, Mione! If you tell a single soul, I'll kill you," she threatens.

"I won't, I won't. But trust me, soon you won't be able to deny it. I sense good things coming your way with Harry," Hermione says certainly.

"Yeah, but you dropped Divination," she responds.

They make their way down to breakfast with Ron after noticing Harry's note. He tells them about the letter he sent as Cameron takes his hand comfortingly under the table.

"That was a lie Harry" Hermione scolds sharply. "You didn't imagine your scar hurting and you know it."

"So what? He's not going back to Azkaban because of me," Harry snaps back.

"Drop it," Cameron urges Hermione as she opens her mouth to continue arguing.

The next couple of weeks pass tensely for the four of them. Hermione and Cameron frequently bicker over the former's obsession with House-Elves, Harry constantly worries over Hedwig and Sirius and Ron doesn't know how to help any of them. Along with the tension in their friendships, their classes are getting harder than ever.

Professor Moody, to everyone's surprise, announced that he would be putting the Imperius Curse on each of them to demonstrate its power and see if they could resist it. Cameron, despite having an older cousin who— in preparation for his Auror test —had already taught her all of the theory to resisting the Imperius Curse, became incredible nervous. She isn't the only one.

"But— but you said it's illegal, Professor. You said — to use it against another human was—" Hermione says.

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like. If you'd rather learn the hard way— when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely — fine by me. You're excused, off you go."

Hermione flushes bright pink and mutters something about not wanting to leave.

Moody begins to beckon people forward and put the curse on them. Each classmate who went forward fell victim to the curse.