018

That evening, the four of them make their way up to the Owlery to send Sirius a letter about the First Task. On the walk, Harry fills Ron in on everything he'd missed with some help from Cameron and Hermione. They search out Pigwideon to send the letter as they discuss Karkaroff.

"Fits, doesn't it?" he says. "Remember what Malfoy said on the train about his dad being friends with Karkaroff? Now we know where they knew each other. They were probably running around in masks together at the World Cup.... I'll tell you one thing, though, Harry, if it was Karkaroff who put your name in the goblet, he's going to be feeling really stupid now, isn't he? Didn't work, did it? You only got a scratch! Come here — I'll do it—"

Pigwideon is so overexcited about delivering something that he's flying in animated circles above their heads loudly. Ron catches him in mid-flight and holds him still do that Harry can attach the letter.

"There's no way any of the other tasks are going to be that dangerous, how could they be?" Ron continues as he walks with his owl to the window. "You know what? I reckon you could win this tournament, Harry, I'm serious."

"Maybe we should just focus on getting through the tournament first, yeah?" Cameron says with a raised eyebrow. "I mean, not that you couldn't do it, but we've got to remember that it's meant to be for seventeen and eighteen year olds."

"Harry's got a long way to go before he finishes this tournament," Hermione says. "If that was the first task, I hate to think what's coming next." She's leaning against the wall, frowning at Ron with her arms crossed.

"Right little ray of sunshine, aren't you?" Ron retorts. "You and Professor Trelawney should get together sometime."

He throws Pigwidgeon out of the window and he plummets twelve feet before managing to pull himself back up. The letter is much longer than usual, and Cameron knows exactly why. She watches it fly off before taking Harry's hand happily. All the nerves and stress that she'd held prior to the First Task seem to have melted away at his success.

"Well, we'd better get downstairs for your surprise party, Harry— Fred and George should have nicked enough food from the kitchen by now."

They walk down to the Gryffindor Common Room happily, and when they walk in they're not disappointed. It explodes with noise as they enter, mounds of food and drink piled on every appropriate surface. Lee Jordan had let off some Filibuster's Fireworks and sparks and stars fly everywhere. Dean had put up impressive banners, many with images of Harry flying around the Horntail and one or two with Cedric with his head on fire.

The four of them help themselves to food and sit together, the epicentre of the celebrations. There is a three month gap between now and the Second Task. Three months of less stress than before.

Lee picks up the egg from the table where Harry left it. "Blimey this is heavy. Open it Harry, go on! Let's just see what's inside it!"

"He's supposed to work out the clue on his own," Hermione says swiftly. "It's in the tournament rules..."

"Oh, come on! None of the other school's champions will do it alone!" Cameron groans playfully, grinning widely.

"I was supposed to work out how to get past the dragons on my own too," Harry mutters, just loud enough for them to hear. She grins rather guiltily and Harry takes that as permission.

"Yeah, go on Harry, open it!" Several people echo the sentiment. Lee passes the egg to Harry and he pries it open.

It's hollow and empty, but as soon as it is open the most horrible wailing noise fills the room. Cameron grimaces as many people slam their hands to their ears.

"What the fuck?" Cameron blurts out as Fred yells to close it. He shut it quickly and the entire room fills with chatter.

"What was that?" Seamus asks, his and Dean's hands intertwined like Harry and Cameron often do. "Sounded like a banshee... maybe you've got to get past one of those next, Harry!"

"It was someone being tortured!" Neville says, having spilled his sausage rolls everywhere. "You're going to have to fight the Cruciatus Curse!" Cameron flinches slightly at the idea, but disregards her worry as Fred debunks it.

"Don't be a prat, Neville, that's illegal. They wouldn't use the Cruciatus Curse on the champions," George says, although his words are fairly gentle. He quickly tries to lighten the mood. "I thought it sounded a bit like Percy singing... maybe you've got to attack him while he's in the shower, Harry?"

Laughter fills the Common Room at his joke and Cameron moves a little closer to Harry. "Maybe this whole party thing isn't too bad," she says into his ear.

"Not with you here, it's not," Harry responds, causing her to blush a bright red. While everyone returns to conversing and attention is diverted, they find themselves totally entranced by each other. Their faces slowly drift closer as they talk gently to each other. They're less than an inch from each other when Neville turns into a large canary near Hermione.

"Oh— sorry, Neville! I forgot it was the custard creams we hexed!"

Within a minute, Neville's feathers slide off and he reappears looking normal. He joins in the laughter.

"Canary Creams!" Fred shouts out to the excited crowd. "George and I invented them— seven Sickles each, a bargain!"

Cameron blushes brightly and Harry smiles sheepishly before they're both swept back into the party with more enthusiasm than before.

It's nearly one o'clock in the morning when Harry and the rest of the boys retreat up the stairs. He plants a swift kiss onto Cameron's head as he does and she internally implodes. She catches Hermione grinning knowingly as they make their way up to their own dormitory and she shoves her playfully. No words are exchanged as they get changed for bed, because none are needed.

 No words are exchanged as they get changed for bed, because none are needed