Talking to a Psychic Hat

I don't own any of the characters etc. 'Tis very sad.

Sorry this is a late update!!!! Life has been especially busy lately.

THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO ALL MY READERS. Everyone who has commented with ideas, opinions, and just comments in general. You have helped me stay motivated, on track (mostly lol), and have given me great ideas. This chapter is going to be Nico and Will being sorted, and while it isn't some huge momentous occasion or anything, I got SO much feedback when I asked what houses they should be in (and in general), and my heart melted a bit. So, thank you all so much, and I hope everyone will be happy with what I've decided for their houses!

<3

Onto the chapter! (Ahhhh they're getting sorted! I wonder what will happen, this is so exciting) 

Nico POV

Of course, Nico had to put the hat on first. Just his luck. That's life as a child of Hades, the world is against you. Figuratively and literally. Ahem, Gaea.

Nico muttered a string of Italian curses the whole way up to the rickety stool and sat down, glaring at the whole room. The old witch lady gave him a stern look and then placed the hat on his head. Thankfully, it didn't go over his eyes. That would have been embarrassing, Nico thought. Not that he really cared what these wizard people thought, but he still needed to have some dignity. It was bad enough his arm was still in a sling. Shoulder wounds did not like to stay closed. 

Just as Nico started to think 'what the heck is this hat supposed to do?', a gruff voice spoke up. Nico was able to withstand flinching, but he cautiously moved his hand to his sword, which still hung by his waist.

'Nico DiAngelo. Son of Hades, hmm? My, my, I haven't met a demigod before. Very interesting indeed. Are you perhaps on a quest for my lady Hecate?'

Before Nico could begin to answer, images rushed to the forefront of his mind. The monster in the forest at camp, waking up in Grimmauld Place, the prophecy, Apollo's note.

'So not Hecate then I see. But a fate nonetheless. Let's see where to place you, Mr. DiAngelo.'

"Um... what? Who are you?" Nico thought, still on guard.

'I believe the easiest answer would be saying I am the hat currently on your head.'

"So you're a psychic hat. I'm talking to a psychic hat. And I thought my life couldn't get any weirder. And I've time-travelled." Nico thought in exasperation. "Whatever. You're the thing that tells me what house to go in?"

'Correct, Mr. DiAngelo. Now, let's get on with it, shall we? Let's see what we have here... patience, loyalty, and oh! Such a strong sense of justice! Perhaps Hufflepuff, eh? Let's see what else there is... Ah, the ambition, the resourcefulness. Survived Tarturas alone, eh? ... You'd fit well in Slytherin. Ravenclaw as well, I see much wisdom and wit. Complex, aren't you, son of Hades? But we mustn't forget your bravery, your courage, your determination. My, my. Much bravery indeed. I must say, Mr. DiAngelo, my lady Hecate never did like Cupid.'

Nico grit his teeth. The hat needed to hurry up, he could see the people in the room staring and whispering. "Stop looking at my personal stuff and hurry up," he thought, "And if I had a say, I would say put me in Gryffindor. I need Harry and his friends' help to get home. It'd be hard if I never see them."

The hat hummed, which felt weird, like his brain was rattling around 'I see, yes, the prophecy. 'Golden Trio'. Well, I have my decision then. Good luck in your quest, son of Hades. GRYFFINDOR!' 

Nico flinched slightly as the last part was yelled for the whole room to hear, then stood up and searched the room, quickly zeroing in on Ron's bright air. Giving the hat back to the lady, he walked over to the table, ignoring all the curious glances. He quickly sat down between Neville and Hermione and turned to watch Will get sorted.

Will POV

Will honestly had no idea what to expect. Nico had looked tense the whole time the hat was on his head, and his eyes had gotten this faraway look. One of the first-year wizards had whispered to him, saying the hat talked to people, but Will wasn't sure how reliable his source was. It wasn't that he didn't believe that could happen, magic could make incredible things... but a talking hat seemed pretty unlikely.

The elderly witch lady - who introduced herself as Professor McGonagall earlier - called Will's name and beckoned him onto the stool. Will cautiously sat down and searched for Nico at the Gryffindor table. He caught Nico's eyes watching him, and he smiled brightly. Nico just raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. Will was about to retaliate when a voice sounded in his head.

'Will Solace, another demigod.' The voice said, and Will jumped a foot in the air, causing the hall of people to break into snickers. Will caught Nico facepalming. Professor McGonagall cleared her throat and everyone quieted down, and Will focused back on the hat.

"You actually talk?!"

The hat chuckled - it chuckled! This magic or whatever was awesome! - and spoke again. 

'I do talk indeed, young son of Apollo. Let's get you sorted into a house, shall we?'

"Go for it. Wait - how do you even sort people? Can you just like... tell what someone is like? Or is it just random?"

'You have many questions, eh? I look into your memories and judge from there. You see, each house has different traits. Bravery for Gryffindor, cunning for Slytherin, loyal for Hufflepuff, and wise for Ravenclaw. There are other traits that are included in each of the houses, but those are the primary ones.'

"Oh. Makes sense. Sorry for holding you up, uh... go ahead with your mind magic thing."

'As you wish. Hmm, I see bravery for sure, helping patients on the battlefield, even fighting yourself. Very good. Loyal, too. And you are honest, yet I'm sure that comes from your father, am I correct? The god of truth. Hufflepuff is a good option. Hmm... Cunning as well, very resourceful... and you are a strong leader. Intelligent. You would do well in Slytherin, boy. Ravenclaw and Gryffindor as well. But for the sake of your quest, demigod, there is one place you will need to go. Stay close to the ones you love, am I correct?'

Will felt his face blush slightly and hoped no one would notice in the softly lit room. The hat then wished him good luck on his quest and shouted his house to the hall.

'Gryffindor!'

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS! did I do okay? I wanted everyone to be happy, and I personally think that both Nico and Will could fit in in every house. I hope everyone is good with this! I put them in Gryffindor just to make the story run a bit smoother with classes and all.

Now we can get onto the fun stuff! Umbridge, Snape (!!YAY I love Snape!!), Maybe Trewalny, we are going to be getting lots of teacher action! 

As always, if you have an idea or a scene you'd like to see, I'd love to see it!

Byyyyyyyyye :)   

(Oh also, my school ends right away so it's going to be super busy for me. I'll do my best to update by June 18. If something comes up, I'll make sure to let you all know!)