24 | strawberries

TASTES LIKE STRAWBERRIES

ON A SUMMER EVENIN'

When Lorelei Evans was six years old, she got lost in London. Her family had been out for brunch and decided to shop around a bit before heading home. Lorelei, in her own little world, saw a red bear in a street window. This red bear was unlike any she had ever seen. It wore a bow around its neck and its fur sparkled in the midday light. Lorelei had to have this bear.

After the girl came to the conclusion that she wasn't going anywhere without the stuffed animal in her grasp, she looked to her right for her mom. But her mom wasn't standing next, neither was her dad, or either of her sisters. All she saw was different coats passing by and the crowded street of London to her left.

Lorelei was alone.

Her initial thought, after realizing she was going to have to fend for herself for the rest of her life was that she could have ice cream whenever she wanted now. How she would get the ice cream seemed like a problem for another day. The red bear was washed from her mind and the girl began her strut down the streets of London. Her newfound freedom elicits excitement with every step.

As she walked, Lorelei couldn't help but wonder where to go. She had no idea where she was, she had no idea what to do, and the sudden need for her mother found its way upon her.

Lorelei stopped, her red curls falling limp, and a soft sob spilled from her. She didn't care about ice cream anymore.

It wasn't long before her father crashed through the crowded sidewalk and scooped the young girl in his arms. "Shh, shh, I got you."

"I got you," Her father repeated.

Lorelei hiccuped and pulled her head from her father's chest, "Don't leave me, please."

Ten years later and Lorelei didn't know why that day was popped into her mind when she hadn't thought about it in forever. It was one of their last trips to London as a family when they were still normal. Before the magic. Before her life changed forever.

It wasn't often the redhead wished she could go back to before her magic, before Hogwarts, before her own life, or before James. But when she thought about her father, the man she'd felt safe with for years, she was filled with heartbreak. The day in London was one of the last days she felt connected to her father. Now it was short clipped responses, the occasional letter, and the constant influence of her mother in everything.

As she stared at her twin sister, open-mouthed and confused, Lorelei wondered what she'd be like if her family had stayed normal, if she never had any magic? Would her father have separated himself so clearly from them? Or would he have been different? Caring? Someone she felt safe with?

It was because of her father that she didn't have the best luck with trust, especially in men. It seemed that Lily was better at relationships than her, but that wasn't anything new, Lily was often better at most things.

"You kissed who?" Lorelei finally let out. She didn't know where all this fear and thought of her father was coming from. Lorelei loved Remus, and couldn't picture anyone better for her twin, but the nervousness was already creeping in. Lorelei would always feel this way at first, she cared too much to let anything happen to her sister.

Lily opened her mouth to reply, but Lorelei held up a hand, "Actually no, sorry I heard you, I'm just trying to process this."

"What do you mean 'process' it?" Lily dropped down next to her sister, the excited glint in her eyes fading. Her shaking hands were already steadying.