05 | potter's scarf

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Lorelei stood in the Gryffindor common room waiting for her friends. They had all agreed to be ready for the game forty-five minutes before it started so they could get good seats, but she'd seen none of them since breakfast.

The redhead watched as other Gryffindors made their way out the portrait and towards the pitch.

Lorelei groaned and glanced towards the clock on the wall. The game was starting soon and Lorelei did not want to miss any of it. Especially since she had not missed a Gryffindor game since her second year.

She also wanted to get on the pitch early in hopes to run into James and not only thank him for helping her the day before but also to wish him good luck. She would have done all this the night before in detention, but McGonagall had split them up the moment they entered the room. Lorelei never even got the chance to glance at him.

Deciding that she had no time to spare, Lorelei pulled her coat tighter around her and made her way out of the common room. The trek to the field was colder than the redhead expected and she silently wished she brought a scarf.

As Lorelei moved further out of the castle, she wondered where her friends were. They had never been ones to ditch her, especially her own sister—Lily had never done anything like this before. Which is why Lorelei settled on the possibility that they might have gotten caught up somewhere and would meet her later.

Setting it aside, Lorelei focused her mind on James Potter and what she wanted to say to him. She absentmindedly shook her hands at her side as the nerves crept in. Why was she so nervous? It's not like this was anything besides a normal conversation which they've had many of.

Godric, why was her heart racing so fast? She'd talked to James too many times to get nervous about this one.

The more Lorelei thought about it, she'd never directly gone to the boy and struck up a serious conversation; either he initiated it, a teacher did, or it was purely to pick fun. It suddenly felt all too real—she had become friends with the boy in love with her sister. The boy she always found to be a nuisance even. What was happening?

"Everything all right there, love?" The voice of James Potter filled her ears, and for a second she froze. Why did he always show up when she was thinking about him? Although this time she was grateful. This way she wouldn't have to go chase him down.

Lorelei let the smile take over her features and looked to the chaser, "I'm fine, Potter."

"You seemed a little distracted. Thinking of me, I presume?" The arrogance oozed from his words, but the playful grin told Lorelei that he was only kidding.

"How'd you know?" Lorelei shoved her shivering hands into her jacket pocket and carefully took in the players attire in hopes to not be caught gawking. Lorelei could not lie and say that his uniform did not fit him perfectly because well, it did. She suddenly felt really annoyed that he got to look good all the time without really trying, and she had to put in the effort every morning.

"It's hard to think about anything other than me, I get it," James glanced down at the ground for a second and opened his mouth again, "So where's your sister?"

Lorelei held her grimace, for a second she forget he was madly in love with someone else. "I don't know, actually. She was supposed to meet me earlier."

"Oh."

Lorelei nodded in reply, the sudden awkwardness taking both of them by surprise. Lorelei felt a shiver run through her body as a cold wind blew by. She really should've dressed warmer.