20 | the forbidden forest

I WONDER WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE LOVED BY YOU

     Lorelei barely slept the rest of the night after she'd scurried away from James' lips, cheeks the shade of her hair, and an erratic heart. Thoughts kept her awake, twisting left and right, wondering why he'd done that. For whatever reason it was, it certainly didn't help her situation. She'd never forget about him if he kept up like this.

She'd never stop replaying their mistletoe kiss in her mind if he kept up the weird actions toward her. But, Lorelei had to. Because they were best friends, and having James Potter as a best friend was better than not having him at all.

The sun was nowhere in sight but Lorelei was pulling on a sweater and escaping from her dorm. Broom in hand and determination in her step, Lorelei snuck out of the castle. She moved with quiet steps, knowing she'd find herself in detention if she were caught.

As she hurried, a soft breeze blew through the castle, turning her nose pink and sending strawberry locks flying. The chill, Lorelei thought, felt nice against her skin. It helped to cool her anxious body with James Potter still setting fires across her mind.

Lorelei followed the path, passing the gamekeeper's hut and stopping at its end before the forbidden forest. The tall and thick trees loomed overhead. They covered the vast expanse of land, except for a small opening. After three years of exploring, the fear, elicited by teachers, of the forest no longer crept up Lorelei's back. The creek of old branches and snap of twigs didn't faze her anymore.

As she moved further into the greenery, the breeze picked up and the moon shone a little brighter. Lorelei glanced up and recognized the round, whiteness of a full moon. She hummed softly to herself as she continued, closing in on the clearing she was searching for. Lorelei knew it was near, an extra tall pine signifying its proximity. Lorelei climbed onto her broom and pushed off the ground.

The wind rushed by as she glided through the air. The cold air refreshing compared to the stuffiness of the Gryffindor common room. Or at least the stuffiness that followed encounters with a certain bespectacled boy.

Flying. Lorelei had felt nothing like it. It had to be her favorite part of being a witch. As a muggle-born, with eleven ordinary years of life, everything about the magic world amazed her, but none quite like flying. When Lorelei really thinks about it, it's almost normal: wanting to be able to fly. All children imagine themselves soaring above the streets like a superhero, and for most kids, it is only a dream. But not for her. She was wide awake and still somehow living in a dream.

Lorelei approached the clearing, lowering herself closer to the ground to get between the trees. As she passed through the last branches and flew into the open grass, a smile made its way onto her lips.

With the moon high in the sky, and its fullness lighting the sky, Lorelei worked on her broom techniques. She transfigured a rock into a quaffle and throwing it across the field, worked on her speed. On her fifth round, she didn't make it in time and the quaffle rolled into the trees. Lorelei followed it, still on her broom. As the ball rolled further under some branched, Lorelei jumped off her broom leaving it hovering in the air.

She reached down to grab the ball when a snap filled the forest, its sound harsh against the silence of the space. Normally, Lorelei would ignore it, but when she glanced towards the sound, Lorelei found herself staring into the eyes of a furry black dog.

The animal's eyes widened as they stared into hers. Lorelei, confused to see such a normal creature in the forbidden forest, stood very still, her hand hovering near the wand in her boot. She didn't think the dog would get aggressive, but just in case.