Coronation

This was a momentous event. Anytime a new King or Queen was crowned was a huge deal. Especially one in a family this big. Watchers lived for so long there wasn't often a coronation like this.

   Last time James had been crowned. He had no siblings so it was a smooth process. His parents faded a few hundred years later and then Matthew was born.

   Matthew once imagined it would be him up there. Long ago when he was about 18. In normal age that is. Now he's in his early early 30's. After the Virus attacks... He could never imagine himself in that position. It was his job to protect his people.

   Rachel would make a good ruler anyways. She was kind and observant. Often you might not even notice she was there because she's listening. She's brilliant and yet modest. She will be a good queen.

   Matthew watched with growing pride as his sister approached the stage. She looked elegant. Her face was flushed lightly at all the attention and nerves.

   Matthew's parents had asked him first. If he would like to be king. He was the Crown Prince after all. He had declined. When Rachel found out he almost had a fit. She was so young. Only 20.

   Rachel reached the stage where her parents and her siblings were all seated. She stepped up to father carefully.

   James smiled. "I'm proud of you..." He whispered. "People if the Center! This is an extraordinary occasion! We have a new Queen!"

   Charlene stepped up next to James. "James and I have ruled for a very long time. We are ready to pass the torch on to someone young and healthy." She smiled. It was always a bit unsettling to be under her gaze. Her eyes were never quite focused. It was strange knowing she couldn't see anything. 

   "We relinquish our position to our eldest daughter Rachel Miraculous. The Miraculous bloodline had been royal for generations, since the beginning of time. May Queen Rachel be the best of them all." James continued removing his crown and raising it over Rachels head.

   The crown shone brightly as it neared Rachels head. The transfer of power would renew the Omniverse and create a brand new AU in Rachels honor. 

   Matthew smiled softly until he noticed the movement in the corner of his eye. He turned his head to see Charlie moving. He had a malicious glint in his eye. He stepped out of his place by the throne and headed toward Rachel and mom and dad.

   "Move!" Mattie threw himself forward and pressed his mother to the ground. 

   There was a flash. Rachel was on the ground. Charlie had the crown on his head. It was an inky black metal now. He opened up a code panel and turned to his father.

   The court watched in horror as black lines etched their ways up James' arms and made their way onto his face. The King let out a pained screech as the whites of his eyes faded into the same midnight black as the lines. His scream tapered into a muffled gurgle as his body collapsed. Seconds later his body poofed into oblivion.

   The palace erupted into chaos.