The Black King

Cypher woke up to sunlight for the fifth day in six years. He didn't know if he'd ever get used to that again. He sat up in his sleeping bag and rubbed his eyes. He glanced to his right and saw Peter still sleeping soundly. He looked to his left and saw nothing. 

   He tossed his covers off. "Peter! They're gone!" He grabbed his coat and tossed it on along with his bag and his knife. Boots. Where are they?

   Peter tossed his covers in a half asleep frenzy. "Whos gone?" He paused. "The boys!" HE stumbled out of the covers reaching for his cloak and his sword.

   Cypher mentally cursed himself. He should have know. Of course they would go back. They were too stubborn to listen to orders. They're gonna get themselves killed. He flashed his hand out and blinked as a shaky portal opened. "In universe portals work. Lets go." At least Charlies complete hold was losing power. 

   Peter gripped his sword close and nodded. The two stepped into the portal and into ground zero for the apocalypse. 

   The castle had changed. It was dark and ash stained. All the windows were darkened like a permanent shadow had fallen over the palace. It looks like they landed in the east wing somewhere. 

   "Which way is the dungeon?" Cypher whispered. 

   "This direction." Peter pointed and headed down that way.

   It seems like they were just in time because a small scream split the air. Both broke into a run toward the sound. 

   A gang of guards had the boys surrounded with Kion on his knees. Xian was doing his best to protect Nano but he was still so young... 

   Cypher pulled at his strings and roped them around the guard closest to Kion. "Get away from them!" He snapped.

   Peter drew his sword. Neither of them expected to have to fight here. They hoped to get the boys and get out. In this world no one gets what they want...

   The two barely managed to carve a path to the boys. Kion was in bad shape. He was horribly injured. Xian and Nano also had injuries but none as severe as their middle brother. Cypher knew he had to get them out of there. 

   "Pete grab the boys. We have to get out before Charlie knows." 

   "Too late."

   Cypher shuddered and turned. There he is... The Black King. He glanced back at Peter.

   Peter clutched Kion closer to his chest. He nodded and opened a portal. He and the boys disappeared. 

   Charlie made no move. He just kept this smile on his face. "My favorite nephew. I'd love to talk to you. And before you think of leaving."

   Charlie glanced at the guard to Cyphers left. Black vines crept up his legs to his torso and finally his face. He could only gurgle before his body convulsed and stopped. And then he was gone. Just like the king...

   Cypher swallowed thickly and turned his gaze back on Charlie. "Okay. Lets talk."