Chapter Eleven

Camryn

When I woke up the next morning, I was in an unfamiliar bed and I felt like a train had hit me. I blinked several times, taking in my surroundings, as the events of the night before replayed in my mind. The fight with Robby, coming to Derek's pent house, Derek making Riley popcorn, me completely breaking down like a fool in his arms.

Oh god, what had I done? Riley and I were here now and there was nothing I could do to change it. At some point today, he'd realize we were gone. He'd call the police, they'd find my car, and Riley and I would be at the center of a nationwide manhunt. It all seemed so simple until I'd actually gone through with it. He'd kill us if he ever found us, but he came close to killing me last night. He left me with no choice. All I could do now was trust Derek and hope he knew what he was doing.

The blackout curtains made it so dark in here that I had no idea what time it actually was, but the smell of coffee and bacon was filling the air. I frowned, wondering when my five-year-old figured out how to make bacon. Throwing the covers off of my body and jumping out of bed, I headed out toward the kitchen. I could hear the sound of her laughter accompanied by a deep, familiar voice I wasn't expecting.

Derek was here.

Riley sat on the counter next to Derek, who was hard at work at the stove. "Okay, here it goes!" He chuckled, flicking a piece of uncooked bacon into the greasy pan. It started sizzling and popping like crazy, and both of them dissolved into giggles.

"Do it again!" Riley encouraged.

I stood there watching them for a second, wondering how different my life would have turned out if I had married a guy who could have been an actual father to Riley. Someone who showed her how women should be treated, who always made time for her. Someone she could turn to when she needed help or was in trouble. Someone like Derek.

"Oh good! You're up!" Derek grinned, handing me a cup of coffee. "I hope you're hungry."

"Hi mama! Derek is teaching me how to make bacon." Riley bounded off of the counter and threw her arms around my legs in a tight hug.

"I saw that! Did you tell him that's your favorite?"

She nodded wildly. "He said we get to go on a trip! You and me and him! I'm so excited mommy!"

My eyes widened as I looked up at Derek. That was news to me. Didn't we talk about us staying here and lying low for a while? And didn't he say one of his men would be with us?

Derek picked up on my confusion right away. "Riley, why don't you go watch TV for a few minutes while your mommy and I talk?" He suggested.

Riley took her plate of bacon from him and agreed, heading off into the other room. I sat down at the bar stool, noticing there was a giant bouquet of flowers that hadn't been there last night.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, handing me a bottle of Advil.

"I feel okay. I'm just sore and I have a bad migraine."

"Do you want me to have Cole come over and take a look?"

I shook my head. "No, you don't need to do that. I've had much worse."

Derek clenched his jaw. He did every time I mentioned something awful about Robby, as if he was trying to keep his anger in check.

"What are the flowers for?"

"They're for you. To celebrate. Today is the first day of the rest of your life." Derek grinned softly, handing me my own plate of bacon. My stomach was in too many knots to think about eating right now, but the coffee hit the spot.