Chapter Four

***Trigger Warning: This chapter contains heavy themes of domestic violence. Please take care of yourself and skip if you feel this may be triggering for you. If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence of any kind, please reach out to someone in your community. In the US, that number is 1-800-799-7233**

Camryn

"It was a mistake to come here." I clenched my jaw, trying to figure out a way to get out of here. Right now, he was blocking my only exit.

"Just let me look at your ribs." He held his hands up in surrender, as if trying to call some sort of truce. "We don't even have to talk if you don't want to. Please, I'm here to help."

How was this even happening? This guy was the doctor from St. Joe's in the Bronx. I'd specifically come here to avoid seeing him again, and yet here we were. It seemed way too coincidental that he was here, and I couldn't take the risk of someone I know seeing me or of Robby finding out and getting even more upset. Tonight had been... I didn't even have words to describe how horrific it was.

I couldn't risk it. I should leave, but I couldn't even take a full breath without back-breaking pain searing through my chest. I knew I needed to get my ribs looked at and bandaged up, but how could I be sure I could trust this guy?

"You don't even work here." I eyed him suspiciously.

"You're right." He nodded. "I don't. I work in the Bronx where you and I met last night."

"Then why are you here?" I asked, still on edge.

A small grin broke out on his face. "I'm here because we do floating shifts once a month. Why are you here?"

"Because I didn't want to come to your ER again." I quipped, folding my arms over my chest. "And I fell and hurt my ribs."

"Why don't you let me look at them, then?" He arched his eyebrow, looking back at me expectantly.

What choice did I have at this point? I could either live in pain for the next few weeks or let him look at them and treat me. It wasn't like I could go find another hospital at this time of night. Robby would realize I was gone soon. I didn't think he had it in him to hurt Riley, but I never wanted to give him the opportunity to either.

"Fine." I pressed my lips into a thin line. The sooner I could get this over with, the sooner I could get out of here.

"There is one question I have before we get started..." Here we go. I sucked in a sharp breath, waiting for whatever he was going to ask. "What name would you like for me to call you? I've heard Jessica, Claire, and I believe tonight it's..." He glanced down at my chart. "Elizabeth?" He had a teasing grin on his face.

My cheeks were fiery with embarrassment, but I couldn't help but smile a bit, too. It really wasn't much use to lie anymore. At least about my name. Dr. Bennett was trying to help me and I could extend at least a small olive branch. "You can call me Camryn. That's my real name."

"Now we're getting somewhere." His smile widened. "It's nice to meet you, Camryn. Do you have a last name?"

"Don't push it." I settled in.

He chuckled as he walked around to the same side of the bed as me.

"So you said you fell?" He gestured for me to sit down. I put my purse back on the chair and did as he asked.

I nodded. "Down the stairs. My daughter left some toys out and I was carrying down laundry."

"How old is your daughter?" He sat down next to me.