Chapter Eight

Camryn

When Riley and I got home, a strange sense of peace washed over me. We were still days away from making our escape, but a plan was in motion. And whether it was right or wrong, somehow I trusted Derek when he said he wouldn't let anything happen to us. I felt lighter than I had in months, knowing I just had to get through the next few days and Riley and I would be on our way to starting a new life.

I sent her outside to play in the yard while I did a few things in the house. I needed to do my best to keep things as normal as possible around here so that Robby wouldn't be tipped off to anything and get everything together that we were taking with us.

Robby wouldn't be home for a few more hours, so I figured now was as good a time to start as any. Derek told me to keep it minimal, which wouldn't be all that difficult. I didn't want to take anything along that would remind me of the nightmare our lives here had become.

As I started to sort a few things, a photo on my nightstand caught my attention. It was from our wedding day. I picked it up, brushing off the dust and looking down at those two bright, smiling, naïve faces. If only I could go back and time and tell this girl to run. To leave it all behind and not be fooled by the glamour and romance of it all. If only I could warn her. Even if I had been able to, I knew she wouldn't listen. I bit my lip gently, setting it back down. I couldn't save the girl I once was, but I could save Riley, and that was all that mattered now.

Instead of finishing up my own packing, I went into her room. I didn't care what I brought with me, but she'd need a few more things to make her feel more comfortable on the run. I sifted through her laundry, pulling out a few things and putting others away. The sound of the door to her bedroom opening startled me. I turned, expecting to find my daughter, but instead, I found Robby staring back and forth between me and the bag on the bed. Holy shit.

"What are you doing?" He asked flatly.

Quickly falling into character, I plastered a huge, fake smile on my face. "Hey babe.. I'm just going through Riley's clothes, she's going through another growth spurt and there is a woman down the street who has a daughter her age, I was going to see if she wanted some of this instead of just getting rid of it." I brushed my lips against his cheek and continuing with what I was doing as if it was normal. "I didn't expect you home so soon. How was your day?"

"I wanted to surprise you..." He said apprehensively, at least appearing to believe my story. He pulled his hand from behind his back and produced a gigantic bouquet of roses. "And apologize for what happened last night. I was an asshole and I don't deserve you."

No, you don't. I wanted to say. Instead, I kept my mouth shut.

"Look, Cam, I know I've said this before, but I really want to change. I talked to the department today about taking some anger management classes. They offer them free to officers and I enrolled in them. I start Monday." He looked boyish and nervous. Almost like he had when we first met.

I was completely taken aback by his words. Robby had never made any kind of effort to fix things this way before. This was completely new. Was he changing his ways? No, Camryn. I said to myself, trying to stay strong. Men like Robby don't change. This would have been good two years ago, when we really had an opportunity to fix things. Now that I made my mind up, it just seemed like too little, too late. I pressed my lips into a thin smile. "That's great, Robby."

"I brought home some steaks and your favorite wine. I figured I could grill and we could let Riley swim for a while. What do you think?" He gave me a hopeful smile. I glanced at the bottle in his hands. It was petty, but just another thing that proved how little he knew about me. It was a chardonnay and my favorite wine was a cabernet.