Chapter Thirty Five

Derek

"You'll call me immediately after?" Cam asked for about the tenth time just this morning. We were sitting on the balcony having a cup of coffee before I had to leave for court. This morning I was starting my testimony against Robby, and with any luck, we'd be back on a plane out of here by tonight. At least that was what Cam and I were hoping. The trial process was painfully slow, and I knew it could be several days, but I had high hopes, nonetheless.

"I promise, babe," I assured her, reaching for her hand. "Everything is going to be fine. I was only with him for an hour. There isn't even that much I can say."

"Right. But they're going to try to trap you." She sighed. She was nearly shaking with anxiety and I hated that I had to leave her this way. She would be a mess of nerves the entire day.

"I know. It's their job to trap me or make me say something different from my original story. But that's not going to happen. It's going to go smoothly and then we're going to go spend a few months in the Bahamas. How does that sound?"

"I wish we could just do that right now and skip this entire thing. I don't even care if he goes to jail; I just want to be alone with you and Riley, far away from here."

I laughed, running my thumb against the back of her hand. "Now that's not true. We both want Robby to pay for what he did to you. He deserves to. He deserves to rot in a prison for the rest of his life, and I am going to help make sure that happens today. Now, can you at least try to relax? Riley is going to be ready for fun when she wakes up."

She let out a heavy breath and turned away. "You're right. I'll do my best."

"Thank you." I leaned forward, pressing a slow and gentle kiss to her lips. "I will call you the second I am out of there, okay?"

She nodded. "Please be safe."

"I will be. I love you."

"I love you, too." She said, as I headed for the door.

I grabbed my computer bag and gave her one last smile before heading out. The court house was a short drive from my building, but I didn't run the chance of being late and this getting drawn out even more. Will was going to stop by throughout the day to check on the girls, and I knew that would ease Cam's mind a little. I didn't blame her for being so anxious, but I hated not being able to fix it, or at least be there with her as she worked through it. I realized the very best thing I could do for her was make sure this ended the right way, and it ended quickly.

I expected the courthouse to be packed with reporters, but it was an absolute madhouse. The eyes of the entire world were on the outcome of this case, and it was a bit overwhelming. I pushed through the crowds and found my way inside, standing right outside the courtroom. I couldn't be in there while other testimony was going on, so I just had to wait. I went into the bathroom and, a few seconds later, the door opened and I was face to face with Robby and a court officer.

Robby gave me a sinister grin the second our eyes met. "I was wondering when I was going to run into you."

"Hello, Robby." I clenched my jaw, fighting every urge in my body not to strangle him right here and now.

"Funny, you being here to testify in my defense when you're the reason I'm sitting on trial, isn't it?" He chuckled.

"I don't know what the fuck you're talking about."

"You're in here to use the restroom, Hastings, not socialize." The guard shoved Robby forward.

"What did she tell you, Derek?" He kept at it. "That I roughed her up a little? The bitch is crazy. Every word she says is a lie. She'd throw her own self down the stairs if she thought it would come back on me."