Chapter Twenty Seven

Camryn

"I'm bored." Riley groaned, resting her head on her fist.

This was about the third time we'd had this conversation this morning. Normally she was completely content here, but now that I'd said we couldn't go anywhere, it was as if I was torturing her.

"Why don't you read some more about the Volcanos?" I suggested.

"I finished that last night, mom. I need a new one." She huffed, irritated I would even suggest such a thing.

"You could go play on the swing set? Or draw with side walk chalk? Or we could..."

"All of those are boring." She rolled her eyes. "I want to go into town."

I had to laugh. "Do you even realize what that means?"

"Well, it's where Derek and Will are. I bet they're having fun."

I didn't know what they were actually doing, but I was willing to bet it wasn't all that much fun. Derek didn't look thrilled when he left here, and he was probably having to deal with the mess I'd left him after calling my dad yesterday.

I wish I could say I regretted it, but I didn't. The relief and joy in my dad's voice was worth every second. I could only hope there wouldn't be any ramifications of it—for him or for us. I promised him that once things were safe, we'd come visit, and I prayed that day was soon.

"Okay." I sighed, putting my book away, resigning myself to the fact I wasn't going to get anymore reading in today. "I saw some kayaks down by the water. How does that sound?"

Riley eyed me carefully. "You don't know how to drive a kayak."

"First of all, you don't 'drive' a kayak. You paddle. And second of all, I know how. Whenever I was your age, my mom taught me. And it was on the ocean, so it was much harder." Was she seriously so old she always was thinking I wasn't cool anymore? Ugh, I couldn't bear it.

"You don't have a mom." She scrunched her nose up at me.

"Of course I do! Every body has a mom, silly goose."

"Well, why haven't I met her?" Riley questioned. Damn, she was tough this morning, not letting up at all.

"Because she lived a long way away from us." I said gently, letting my mind wander. "She died before you were born, but she would have loved you."

"Do you have a dad, too?" She was curious now.

I nodded. "Hopefully someday soon you can meet him."

"Can I meet Derek's mom and dad?" She pressed.

"Well, that would be up to him. Now let's go!"

I got up, wanting to end this entire conversation as fast as I could. I was emotional about her bringing up my own parents and then completely overwhelmed with the idea of us meeting Derek's. There were so many layers to this. Did they know about Robby? Did they know what he was doing from me? Had he even told them about me?

My mind was swirling. Of course, Cole would know, but he said he had a pretty big family. Cole even mentioned to me he had two little girls. The prospect of Riley having cousins her age to play with made my heart flutter, but I reined myself back in. Derek and I were still so fresh, it was way too soon to be thinking about any of that.

I made us a few sandwiches for a picnic and packed a small bag. Riley followed me down to the shore and put on the life jacket I gave her and one on myself before pulling the kayak into the water. I got her situated and then jumped on myself. I paddled hard, and we were quickly on our way.