Chapter Forty One

Derek

"There she is!!" I grinned, bending down and outstretching my arms.

Riley came flying down the hallway with a big smile on her face, launching herself into me. "Hi Derek."

Kate brought her by in hopes Camryn would be awake, but there was no such luck yet. I spent the entire night sitting at her side, watching the monitors intently and waiting for the slightest sign she was waking up. Cole assured me it was completely normal with the amount of sedative they'd given her, but I was anxious. I wouldn't be content until I saw those beautiful eyes staring back at me.

"Did you have a good time last night?" I asked, picking her up.

She nodded wildly. "Lily let me borrow her Frozen pajamas. Can I see my mommy now?"

Kate and I shared a glance. "Well, Ry, mommy is still sleeping."

"But I want to see her." Tears bubbled in Riley's eyes, all the happiness she had just had quickly vanished. "I want mommy."

"I know, Ry..." I rubbed her back. "But mommy is still resting, and she needs..."

Riley burst into tears, kicking and flailing her body around in my arms. "Put me down! I want mommy!"

I immediately panicked. Considering the last few days, it was completely understandable that she was acting this way, but I didn't know what to do. I couldn't imagine witnessing something like that at any age, let alone so young. Camryn was her entire world, and she was terrified of losing her. I hated the thought of her seeing her mom like this, though. Cam didn't look like herself right now and I didn't want Riley to be scared. This was complicated and the person who needed to be making these decisions was Cam. Cam wasn't available right now though, so I had to do my best to be there for Riley like she deserved.

"I have an idea." I set her down, wiping her tears away. "I think it would be okay if we went into mommy's room and we're very, very quiet. That way mommy can still sleep but you can see that she is okay. How does that sound?"

Riley was apprehensive at first, but she looked at Kate for reassurance. Kate gave her a big smile and nodded.

"Okay." she whispered.

I took Riley's hand and led her into the hospital room. Riley was cautious and stayed right next to me as we walked towards the bed. I watched as she looked at the different computer screens and then at her mom.

Her brow furrowed, and she put her little hands on the side of the bed. "Is she going to wake up soon?" She whispered.

"I hope so." I put my arm around her shoulders.

Riley bent down slightly and kissed Cam's hand. It broke my heart watching her. All I wanted was to see the two of them laughing and running through the backyard in Vancouver again. I wanted them to be safe and happy and far away from all the pain Robby had caused.

I started to lead Riley out of the room, and she glanced back over her shoulder one more time. "You're sure she's going to wake up?"

I gave her a soft smile. "Yes, Ry. Do you remember my brother Cole? He fixed all the places mommy was hurt and he's making her feel better. When she's ready, she's going to wake up and she'll be so happy to see you."

A smile pulled at her lips. "I can't wait to see her."

"Me too." I gave her a tight hug.

"What do you say we go to the park for a little while, Riley? I bet Derek will call us the second your mommy wakes up." Kate suggested, offering her hand to Riley.