Chapter Twelve

Kyah shot up in her bed as the sound of her alarm ripped her from her dreams. She reached out and drew the small clock to her hand with the force, looking at it in disapproval as she switched it off and read a bleak '5:00' on its screen.

Kyah dropped the clock beside her in bed, and flopped back onto her pillow with a groan. Her eye managing to drift closed again for little more than a second before there was a knock on her door. She watched as a young maid entered the room followed closely by Talia, the older lady in waiting from the day before. They came to stand at her bedside with their hands folded, staring expectantly.

"Good morning." Kyah said with a look of absolute confusion on her face.

"Good morning ma'am." They replied in unison, then the younger of the two stepped forward and offered Kyah a hand up, "We'd best be starting your day. There's an awful lot to do before sun up." She said with a cheery voice. Kyah tried to hide how annoyed she was that there were already people bugging her, mere moments after she'd woken up. She accepted the hand and was pulled to her feet.

"Oh." The young girl said as Kyah rose out of bed with her pyjamas ajar and her hair in a knot up on top of her head.

"What?" Kyah asked as she looked at the maid's startled expression.

"Nothing." She said quickly, "Nothing at all." She repeated and the two serving girls rushed her into the washroom.

Talia handed her a tooth brush and squeezed a dollop of paste onto it, while the other girl immediately got to work, pulling a brush through her hair. Kyah tried to ignore the tugging at her scalp as she leaned over the sink and brushed her teeth.

As quickly as she'd gone, Talia reappeared with a long, fitted and very  fancy dress.

She held it up for Kyah to see and the Jedi choked on the toothpaste foaming in her mouth

"That's what I'm meant to wear?" She asked and her eyes grew wide as she turned to face the maid.

"Yes ma'am. The Duchess picked it out herself. Senator Organa will also be wearing white, so she thought this would help to make you look well coordinated." She explained and started to undo the lacing at the back of the gown.

"But..." Kyah pouted, "What if I end up needing to fight?" She asked. "I can't wield my lightsaber in that." She said nervously and looked up at Talia with pleading eyes.

"I see." She said and stopped to look to her coworker for ideas.

"Perhaps you should go find the Duchess again, and see if you can't come up with a more practical outfit." The young maid suggested and Talia nodded before hurrying off.

"Pardon me askin' ma'am," The maid behind her spoke timidly as she continued combing out Kyah's tangles. "You don't expect that you'll be needing to fight today, do you?"

Kyah locked eyes with the young girl through the mirror as she rinsed out her mouth and laid down the tooth brush, "I hope that I won't, but I still need to be ready." Kyah answered soberly and the maid nodded.