Chapter Thirty-One

Kyah sat down in her cell, as Cody activated the shimmering barricade of energy that enclosed her within the small room. She looked around at the grey walls, then down at the silver cuffs around her wrists, twisting her arms inside of them to try and get the tight fit to feel more comfortable, but it was useless.

"He really did fight for you." Cody's voice surprised her. She figured he would have left right away, but when she turned to look at him through the translucent force field, she saw he'd removed his helmet and his face held almost as much guilt as Obi Wan's had displayed.

"I know Commander." She nodded, "He's a good man, and a great Jedi." She said and tried to offer him a smile to ease his concern, but all it did was show him how exhausted and devastated she really was. Kyah appreciated what he was trying to do, but she was also desperate for him to leave as she struggled to hide her trembling hands, gripping tightly to her knees in an attempt to forcefully still them.

Cody looked on for long moments, opening and closing his mouth a few times, as he struggled to come up with something else to say, but eventually let out a heavy sigh of defeat. He pulled his helmet on and walked away, leaving the cell block and, for the first time in his long career serving under his general, felt like he wasn't the good guy in this scenario.

Kyah took a few deep breaths as she looked back down at her hands, lifting them in front of her and hating how they shook. It made her feel pathetic to be so effected by such a simple thing. The feeling of the metal against her skin, so reminiscent of the chains she once wore. She balled her hands into fists and pressed them firmly against her thighs, as she sighed to herself in frustration.

With a final huff, she swung her legs up onto the thin mattress, laying back and burying her face into the equally thin pillow. She closed her eyes tightly and fought against the feeling of spiralling fear, as her pulse echoed in her ears. It was as if she was teetering on a the edge of a cliff, hanging on to her composure by a thread as she looked down into the abyss of uncertainty that lay before her.

She had just started to give in, and could feel herself falling, when Cody's voice reappeared at the end of the hall.

Kyah lifted her head, and propped herself up on her elbow as he came to stand in front of her cell, balancing something in his arm as he struggled to unlock her keypad, finally succeeding with a relieved sigh as he stepped inside and Kyah sat up to face him.

She watched in confusion as he approached and handed her a glass of water then took an ice pack in his other hand, shaking and cracking it to activate the cooling gel inside.

Kyah accepted the ice as she looked up at Cody, "Thank you." She said, clearly baffled by his reappearance.

"Kix made contact the moment he heard we arrested you, and gave me an earful." He said quietly, and Kyah smiled as she nodded, understanding better now.

"Damn right." Kix's voice came through Cody's com link, making him jump.

"I thought I muted it." He grumbled in frustration, as he lifted his arm, and a small holo projection of Kix appeared.

"I released my patient under strict instructions to rest and hydrate, only to hear not twenty minutes later she's been arrested by our own people." He raised his voice, making Cody wince.

"Look Kix, I gave her the water, and the ice. I don't know what else you want from me here." He said in defeat and the medic sighed, then noticed Cody's eyes raise to meet Kyah's, and the small holo image turned as well, relaxing a little once he saw her.

"Are you alright?" He asked, his voice switching instantly from stern to gentle.

Kyah nodded her head, "I'm okay." She decided to simplify her wide range of emotions surrounding the current state of things.