Chapter Thirty-Three

The walk to Kyah's new chambers felt longer than it should have. His exhaustion felt like weights had been tied around his feet, as he moved sluggishly through the halls, lost deep in thought.

"General." a clone trooper with downwards facing yellow triangles on his helmet and chest plate fell into step beside Obi Wan, but as he called to him, the Jedi took no notice, "General Kenobi." The trooper called louder, yet still, no response, "Obi Wan!" the clone finally shouted, and his general practically jumped out of his skin.

"Wooley." Obi Wan struggled to catch his breath after the fright, as his hand came up to rest over his heart, feeling it beating too quickly.

"Sorry General. I called you three times before shouting." He shrugged.

The Jedi looked surprised. He truly hadn't hear a him any of the other times.

 Wooley looked over the exhausted, distracted face of his superior, and normally he wouldn't have been so bold, but he felt he must speak up, "Sir, I hope you don't mind my saying; you look terrible."

Obi Wan looked over into the clone's visor with shock clear in his expression, before laughing and running a hand over his tired eyes for the hundredth time that day. "I mind a little." He admitted, seeing the clone lower his head as he rubbed the back of his neck, "Did you need something Corporal?" Kenobi asked as he quirked his brow towards the clone.

"Oh, uh, no sir." He shook his head, "I just wanted to offer my services." He said, and adjusted the straps of his med-pack over his shoulders, "Lieutenant Waxer filled me in on what happened in the containment unit with General Paladin, and I thought it would be a good idea to give her a once over and make sure that she's alright." He suggested and Obi Wan nodded, "Though, now that I'm here, I think maybe you could use a check up as well." He said hesitantly.

Kenobi turned to face the clone medic, stopping just before he would have turned into the hallway where Cody should be guarding Kyah, "I'm not ill Corporal." He insisted and Wooley nodded.

"I know sir, but that doesn't mean you're well." He corrected, "When was the last time you ate something?" He asked and Obi Wan sighed, averting his eyes.

"The Duchess made me up a plate just this evening." He said.

Wooley nodded, "I know. I tossed its untouched contents after you left your meeting sir." He said politely, but sternly. "I also know you haven't slept since General Skywalker was taken nearly three days ago." He added and sighed as Obi Wan crossed his arms over his torso. "You're running on fumes General, and it's going to catch up with you sooner rather than later." he warned.

"I appreciate your concern Wooley, and I promise, when I have time, I'll rest and recuperate, but I simply don't have the luxury right now." He shook his head.

"So, if I go fetch you a rations bar and drink of water, you won't fight me on it?" He asked, and Obi Wan smiled a little as he looked over at the young clone medic.

"No, I won't." He agreed.

"Then I'll be right back." the clone said, "You're going to see General Paladin I assume?" He gestured towards the hall that led to her room.

"Yes corporal." Obi Wan nodded.

"Would you ask if she'd allow me to examine her?" He suggested, and Obi Wan nodded, "Thank you general." He called over his shoulder as he hurried off in the other direction.

Obi Wan smiled softly to himself for a moment longer as he watched the trooper disappear, then his face fell again as his brow creased and he turned back towards the hallway to his left. He sighed, turning the corner, and watched Cody pace back and forth in front of the bedroom door, with his eyes fixed on the floor of the ship.