Chapter Eighteen

Kix closed the door behind him and set the med kit down on the bed beside Kyah. He switched on the built in reading light above them, and adjusted it, to point down at her, "If you'll remove the rest of your armour general, we can get started." He said as he pulled off his own gloves, and started disinfecting his hands.

"Call me Kyah." She asked as she pulled off the mandalorian gloves and dropped them on the floor beside the bed, followed by the tall, armoured boots. She took off the armoured band on her left arm, and went to remove the one on her right, but hissed in pain as it dragged over the lightsaber burn.

"You alright?" Kix asked as he looked over to see what she was doing.

"Fine. It just stings. The Count managed to graze me with his blade." she said.

As he was looking over her arm, Kix noticed for the first time the collar around her neck.

"What's this?" He asked.

Kyah saw him pointing at the device, and ran her fingers along the cool metal, "Another gift from Dooku." She sighed, "It's an electrified collar." she said and Kix's eyes widened.

"May I?" He asked and Kyah nodded, scooting over on the mattress to make room for him beside her.

He sat on the bed and leaned in closer to get a good look at the metal band, and the burn underneath it.

"How does it come off?" He asked, looking for some sort of release.

"Dooku has the only key." She said, and Kix frowned.

"Hang on. I've got an idea." He said and walked back over to the door, opening it, and sticking his head out.

"Echo, come here." He said and waved in a clone trooper.

Kyah raised her brow curiously as she watched him take off his helmet, revealing a basic clone haircut, and no unusual markings.

"Kyah, this is Echo." Kix introduced them.

"General." Echo nodded to her.

"Just Kyah is fine." She said, "Nice to meet you Echo."

"Do you have your coms patch kit on you?" Kix asked, and Echo reached into a compartment on his belt, holding out a small black pouch. "Perfect." He said, "I'm hoping you can help me get this thing off of master Paladin." he said and pointed to the collar.

They both leaned in, and Kyah had to force herself not to pull back a she became uncomfortable with their closeness.

"That's a nasty piece of hardware." Echo winced as he looked over her marred skin, "When did this happen?" He asked.

"When Dooku was holding Bail and I." she said, "He was hoping to incentivize Anakin and Obi Wan to surrender."

Echo nodded. "Man, That must have hurt like bitch." He said and Kix smacked his shoulder.

"Language." He reminded Echo.

"Right, Sorry miss." He apologized.

"Don't be." She waved him off, "It did, in fact, hurt like a bitch." She admitted and Echo chuckled.

"You think you can get it off?" Kix asked and Echo stood up, running a hand through his hair.

"Yeah, I think so." He nodded, "I've never worked so close to skin before." he admitted, "I have a steady hand, but this would certainly be putting me to the test."

Kix nodded, "I think we should try." He shrugged, "I mean, that things still got power and it looks like it's been pushed to its breaking point." He said nervously, "I'm worried if it has been damaged, it could malfunction and go off." He said and Kyah looked up in alarm.