Dance with somebody

After Whitney Houston's death, that was all everyone could talk about. Of course, considering it was Whitney, Mercedes would be at the forefront of the movement and, of course, Rachel Berry would try to steal the spotlight. So, as both girls tried to outdo each other on their Whitney knowledge, they ended up finding each other in an argument.

"It was written for Diana Ross." Mercedes said, for what felt like the hundredth time.

"No, Mercedes, you are wrong, okay?" Rachel argued back. "The Bodyguard was originally written for Barbra Streisand."

"Actually, Rachel, it was supposed to be Diana Ross and Steve McQueen, back in the '70s." Mr. Schue said, as he walked into the room.

"Thank you, Mr. Schue." Mercedes said, sending Rachel a pointed look.

"I've been doing some research to prepare for this week's lesson." The teacher said as he wrote Whitney on the board.

"Oh, my God, yes." Mercedes smiled, excitedly. "It's about time we did a Whitney tribute!"

"Are we sure that's appropriate?" Sam asked, flinching a bit when Mercedes sent him a look.

"You did not just ask that."

"I just mean, didn't Whitney kind of have a lot of problems?"

"She had a hard life, Sam." Mercedes said, softly this time. "And?"

"Look, this week isn't about passing judgment on Whitney." Mr. Schue said. "It's about celebrating her legacy, honoring her memory, her accomplishments."

"Which I will happily list for you." Kurt said, as Winnie giggled quietly.

"But I also want you guys to use her songs to get underneath your own feelings." Mr. Schue said, as Winnie sighed. Getting underneath her own feelings was quite literally the last thing she wanted at the moment. "To express and explore what's really going on with you."

"I don't get it, Mr. Schue..." Santana frowned. "What's really going on with us?"

"Well, for most of you, these next few weeks will be your last here at McKinley." Mr. Schue said. "Lots of changes coming up, lots of saying good-bye. To your friends, to your significant others, to the last four years of your life. For a young person, all that transition can be overwhelming. So it's easier to focus on other things. Like not being able to say good-bye to Whitney Houston."

"What are you talking about?" Winnie asked.

"Winnie, it's okay." Mr. Schue assured, as the girl rolled her eyes at the patronizing tone in the teacher's voice. "I get it. You're hanging on to Whitney because it's difficult to handle the upheaval in your own lives."

"We're hanging on to Whitney because she was incredible and we love her, so don't put your baggage on us." Santana said.

"You guys, Mr. Schue's attempt to understand us, though misguided, doesn't matter." Rachel spoke up. "What matters is that I start rehearsing Whitney's version of The Star-Spangled Banner immediately. It is the Mount Everest of anthems."

Winnie rolled her eyes. She really did have to congratulate Rachel Berry. After all, she did manage to put a damper even in Whitney Houston week with her always self-centered speeches. That's talent right there.

***

Winnie watched on with a smile as Brittany and Santana performed their rendition of I wanna dance with somebody in the auditorium with some of the Cheerios as backup. She clapped and cheered along with everyone else, but there was a bitter part of her that felt really jealous of them for being able to dance while she was rendered practically useless with her cast. And as she shared a look with Quinn, she knew the girl felt the same as well.