006

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

MIYOUNG

"Miyoung!" Chaerin, Haeun's mother, said cheerfully. "You're finally awake! Happy birthday!"

Miyoung's eyes widened, seeing the whole family sitting in the dining room with the table filled with delicious looking food. "Oh wow, thank you! But you know, you didn't have to."

Haeun laughed, hugging Miyoung tightly. "Don't be so modest! You're family!"

She looked at Chaerin's husband who gave her a warm smile on which she did the same. She sat with them and they discussed what Miyoung would like as a gift, she told them she didn't need anything and letting her live in the house was good enough. Miyoung was now 314 years old, and they tried not to mention it in consideration of her feelings.

"We have to go now but we'll prepare a nice dinner for you later." Chaerin smiles and she waves at everyone, watching them leave altogether after having their breakfast.

She really did appreciate their effort, but a simple greeting would've mean just as much already. She opened her phone and saw a greeting from Sunoo as well.

you
thank you!

sunoo
can we meet in the
park? i want to give
you my gift.

you
sure see you

Miyoung went back to her room, looking through her closet trying to find the right clothes to wear. She stopped midway when she realizes how conscious she suddenly was with her appearance. Slapping herself in the face, she grabbed the first thing that caught her eye and wore it.

She left the house, locking the door behind her. She wondered what his gift was. Miyoung really didn't mind whatever it was, either way she still would accept it.

From her view, she could see Sunoo sitting in front of the huge tree. She tapped him in the shoulder once she got there.

"So what did you get me?" She smiled, sitting next to him.

He  grinned and gave her the gift, It was wrapped so she had no idea what was inside. "Go ahead, open it."

She ripped the wrapper, revealing a box and inside of it was a portrait of the sea. She raised an eyebrow because the sea somehow looked very familiar. "The sea?"

Sunoo nods. "You'll know someday why the sea." He winks at her and as a response, she scoffs.

"Why does it look very familiar?" She says, but he only shrugged. She smiled. "I like it, I'll place this on my room."

"By the way, do you have any special plans for today?" He asks.

She shook her head. "Nothing in particular. This is my 314th birthday after all, it's not like there's anything new to do or see."

"How about your parents? Aren't you going to visit them?" Her eyes widened after the idea he had just suggested. "I-I mean! If you're only comfortable! I don't want to force anything you're uncomfortable with!"

Miyoung sighs. "That sounds like an idea. It's been a while since I last visited there, I'm not even sure if their tombstones are still there."

After leaving her old town, the last thing she heard was that it was destroyed during the war. Now she has no idea what the latest news are, considering she lost all her connections. Thinking about it, maybe returning to her old town will make those memories she lost, return.

But was it a good idea? Was it a good idea remembering something she chose to forget? Her head began to hurt and she had to close her eyes to handle the throbbing pain.

"Maybe in another day. When I'm finally ready to face them again." She blurted, still not looking at Sunoo. When I'm ready to have my memories back.

"Are you okay?" He asks but she gave him a smile as assurance that she was fine.

"How about when I come to my old town, you join me?" She suggests. If she were to show him the place, would he finally see the memory he bears in a brighter light? "It's just a suggestion. I mean, if we really are connected, your memories may return once you see the place." 

He smiles. "That sounds like an idea." He says, repeating the words she said earlier. His eyes fall to the portrait in her hands. "Your life is very mysterious, like the ocean. The more we go further, the more mysterious what lies beneath."

"And if you go deeper, it could be fatal." She mumbles. "You're one to talk, I don't even know you that much!" She says, changing the mood around them. Somehow, it got even heavier as their conversation progressed. 

Sunoo laughs, probably noticing that she was trying to change the mood. Out of consideration for the girl, he allows the conversation to make a detour. "Oh please, you know me very well Han Yeona." He winks, standing up. "My butt is beginning to hurt from all the sitting." 

Miyoung scoffs as she stands up. "Like a child, as always. Do think about joining me, it may be a blessing in disguise." She says, as the two of them began to walk again.

"I'll join you." 

Her eyes widened upon hearing his answer. She quickly glances at him, surprised that he actually agreed. He raises an eyebrow, confused as to why she was so surprised he agreed. 

"Why are you so surprised? It doesn't seem like a bad idea, plus I get to see the town where you grew up." He winks, to which she only replied with her eyes wide open. "Yeona? Miyoung? Are you still there?" 

She shook her head. "I-I'm fine. I just didn't expect that you'll give me an answer immediately." Miyoung explains. "Normally, this is an answer that requires this thing called 'parents' permission.'" 

"I'm old enough to decide for myself! Besides, I've already had my answer the moment you asked." He says, grinning at her. "Text me whenever you wish to go!" He waves at her frantically, before walking to the other direction. 

"He's despicable, that's what he is." She scoffs but later on, a smile suddenly appeared remembering how adorable he looked as he grinned at her. After realizing what she just did, she immediately wipes the smile in her face and decided to return back home while carrying the portrait, making casual glances at it. 

Her curiosity as to why he got her this has not yet left. The only thing she oculd think of while looking at the portrait intently is that it looked very familiar. Arriving at her home, she was welcomed by Haeun who just got back home. 

"What is that?" Haeun asked. 

"A gift from a friend." Miyoung replied. "Are your parents not home yet?" 

"Not yet." Haeun answers. "Is it from the same friend that you keep seeing?" 

Miyoung nods. "I'll be in my room. Call me if you need anything." After Haeun nods, she returns to her room, placing the portrait in her bed. She'll probably have to consult Chaerin before she could hang it in her wall. 

Turning the portrait around, she suddenly noticed two words written at the back of it. It was written with a black pen but it was still readable and Miyoung's for sure Sunoo wrote it. The words written were: 

Remember me.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━