8 - first date

The sun is shining above a clear blue sky. The weather is pleasantly warm as there is no wind. Rose is walking towards her university. It's 10:59, so she would be meeting Jennie very soon. She had an outfit crisis earlier, thus, Rose is not exactly on time. She takes a couple of even faster steps to not be late. Finally, a brunette girl reaches her sight.

"Ah sorry I am a bit late.", Rose opens her mouth even being out of breath.

"No worries, it is only 1 minute over.", Jennie lets out a small laugh.

The girls hug and Rose smells Jennie's sweet perfume. Rose feels butterflies in her stomach and then they back off.

"I have a place in mind I'd like to go.", Jennie speaks.

"Go ahead! I'm fine with whatever.", Rose answers smiling encouragingly.

"We need to take a bus."

Jennie grabs Rose's hand and Rose enjoys it. With her soft hand in hers they start walking towards a bus stop Jennie wants them to go to.

***

They rode a bus for half an hour. Finally, they arrive at Port Melbourne Beach. The weather is still pretty warm, so from time to time, on the bus, the girls felt hot. Maybe also because of each others' presence...

Jennie leads Rose out of the bus and takes her hand again. Rose's heart smiles. They walk next to each other. Rose knows the place, obviously, but not what Jennie wants to do there. After about three minutes, they approach an ice cream shop.

"Would you like to get some ice cream?", Jennie suggests.

"Ah yes please.", Rose smiles and jumps a little out of excitement. Jennie giggles.

Jennie opens the door for Rose and Rose steps in. The shop is small and cute. There are only two people in line before them, so the girls get a little time to think about what they want. Rose ends up having white chocolate ice cream and Jennie gets brownie ice cream. They leave the shop and walk towards the Lagoon Pier.

On the pier, Rose and Jennie stand at the side of it. They are leaning on the white railing. The waves ripple gently against the pier. A warm wind plays around them. 

"It's really pretty here.", Rose sighs.

"I know. Yesterday, I was thinking about where I should take you and this popped up in my mind.", Jennie tells.

"I actually haven't been here in a while."

"That's good then.", Jennie smiles.

Then they fall into silence. It is not awkward as the girls feel like they do not need to say anything. Just standing together looking at the open ocean is enough. Just eating ice creams under the sun is enough. Minutes pass, people pass them and the day passes, but Rose and Jennie are enjoying each others company. Later, they talk more about life.

***

The whole day goes by at the beach. They walk in the sand, sit down in the shade once in a while and even eat dinner in a beach cafe. The day has been full of laughter and shy glances. Rose feels like she is slowly developing a crush on Jennie, but who would not. Jennie is beautiful, friendly, has good manners and much more. Rose's thoughts keep coming back to one thought: What does Jennie see in me?

The sun has started to set. Stunning shades of orange, pink and lilac fill up the sky. The girls are sitting at a beach bar having drinks. They only ordered one each to not go home after dinner. Neither of them wants to end the date, which has now stretched to a really long one.