5 - dinner at Jennie's

I am going to knock on her door now.

Gently, Rose lifts her arm and approaches the door with it. She is agitated. Her stomach is full of  butterflies, but she cannot help it. It has been too long since she hang out with someone outside of her family circle.

Of course, Rose is exactly on time. She looks at the screen of her phone, 7:00pm. She moves her hand back and stands there looking down to her shoes.

Maybe Jennie was joking? Maybe this is all a big joke?

"AH you're here! Come on in.", Jennie's smiling face appears behind the door and she hails Rose to step in. Rose takes a silent breath and moves her feet. She is quickly surrounded by the warmth of Jennie's apartment. It is early autumn, but Rose always feels cold and prefers inside rather than outside.

"Here, I brought some baked bread and a salad I made.", Rose speaks.

"Ohh you wouldn't have to had done that, but thank you.", Jennie receives the food from Rose with a small smirk. "Follow me."

Rose follows behind Jennie's steps to the kitchen. Her apartment is pretty small like Rose's, but it feel super cozy. Jennie's kitchen has just enough space to cook and move around comfortably. In the end, there is a dining table.

"I wasn't completely sure what food you'd like, but I thought maybe to go with a safe one haha. I made some cheese pizza.", Jennie explains while showing the pizza.

"I like pizza!", Rose smiles. 

"Oh good.", Jennie laughs and puts the food Rose brought on the table along with the pizza.

The girls sit down and Jennie gives Rose a drink, plate and cutlery. Also to herself. Jennie lets Rose take food first and then she takes food. They both can smell the delicious aroma of the food, which makes them hungry.

"Thank you, again, for saving me today.", Jennie starts the conversation.

"It's alright. You looked uncomfortable.", Rose answers.

"Yeah... we used to date, but since I broke up with him, he can't accept it... I wish he could leave me alone."

"Ahhh I see... he shouldn't brother you and should respect your decisions."

"I know, but he is just stupid and homoph-..", Jennie slips, but then fast after her sentence she shuts her mouth.

Rose noticed that, but decides to not say anything. She does not want to invade others' private stuff.

"Your pizza is absolutely delicious. You could sell this.", Rose compliments Jennie.

"Thank you. I mean your bread is like a piece of heaven."

"My bosses taught me to bake it. That's why they have a cafe haha."

"Ohh right yess the cafe. I need to visit it more often.", Jennie thinks out loud. "Should we play 20 questions? Like to get to know each other? I like it."

Rose thinks for a second, but then agrees. It is nice to hopefully get a new friend.

"I'll start. Which song would you say represents you?" Jennie asks Rose first.

"That is a difficult question... I live for music honestly. If I wasn't this passionate about food, I'd be studying music. But these days, I would say Let Me Down Slowly."

"I love that song, but it's also pretty sad...". Jennie looks at Rose with a very gentle smile.

"Okay my turn. If a song played every time you entered a room, what song would it be?"

"Definitely Good as Hell." Jennie laughs.

"Haha I can imagine that."

"What do you do when you're not working?"

"Studying, cooking or calling with Jisoo. What is your favourite colour?"

"It has to be black. Yours?"

"Yellow. Are you a morning person or a night owl?"

"Night owl for suuure."

"Ahah me too." They both laugh.

**********

After their 20 questions, Rose helps Jennie to clean their dinner away. There is really no tension between them anymore. Even though Rose has known Jennie for less than a month, she does not feel as awkward as she thought she would.

Suddenly, someone knocks the door. Rose looks at Jennie with a questionmark on her face. Jennie shrugs her shoulders and walks to the door. Rose follows her, but not to the door. She stays a little bit far behind when Jennie opens the door.

"Thank god you're home! My roommate didn't want to let me in because she had a guy over." Rose hears a familiar girl's voice. It is Lisa. "Can I come in?"

Lisa is about to step in, but she notices Rose behind Jennie. "Oh sorry, it's a bad timing?"

"No no, I thanked Rose for saving me today from my ex.", Jennie explains. "You can come in. I can't let you stay outside. It's okey, right Rose?"

Rose just nods and then Lisa comes in and makes herself like home. Jennie and Lisa seem like very close friends. The three go back to the kitchen. Jennie grabs some ice cream from her freezer as a dessert.

"Here you go.", she gives Rose and Lisa their own Ben & Jerry's.

The atmosphere is more tense than it was just between Rose and Jennie. Rose eats and looks at the floor, but feels Lisa's small glances at her. One time, Lisa gives her a little grumpy look. Rose feels confused. Has she done something to her? She feels uncomfortable after that.

Rose looks at her phone and it shows the time is close to 9pm. After Lisa's looks, she wants to go home and it's getting late as well.

"I think I should head home now.", Rose talks to Jennie.

"Oh... alright then. It was really nice to have you here", Jennie smiles and walks after Rose to the door.

"Thank you for the pizza!"

"I'll see you in school then?"

"Sure. Bye.", Jennie waves at her.

Rose steps out and when the door behind her closes, she lets the air out she did not notice she was holding. She walks home thinking about everything that just happened.

Why would Lisa be grumpy? Did I do something to her?