3 - on a rainy day

Another day at work. It had been raining all day, so Rose had not seen many people outside, but she still got some regulars and a couple of new customers to get shelter. Rose likes the rain. She likes the calming effect it has on the hectic world. It feels like a piece of quietness from the rush everyone has nowadays. A time to look around.

Rose is starting to close the cafe as the rain does not seem to stop and no customers have come in an hour. She wipes some table as she is walking towards the door to lock it. Opening the door and stepping half outside, there is something familiar in her gaze. On Rose's left, a brunette haired girl walks fast covering her head with her hands. Rose knows it is Jennie. When Jennie lifts her head to see what is in front of her, she sees Rose and walks closer. Rose just stands still.

"Hey! Are you already closing?", Jennie asks with a little bit of sadness in her voice.

"Yeah.. there haven't been many customers in hours.", Rose answers looking at the girl.

"It's raining pretty hard.", Jennie says while giving small glances inside the cafe.

"Do you wanna come in? It wouldn't be nice to get wet and sick.", Rose asks without thinking.

"Oh sure.", Jennie's face lights up.

Rose follows Jennie in after locking the main door. The walk in silence while the rain pours down outside. Rose gets some cleaning supplies and starts wiping the tables and chairs.

"How long have you worked here?", Jennie asks while watching Rose.

"Already 3 years. Time flies haha.", Rose answers.

"Oh well you really must like it here?"

"Yeah I do. One day I wanna have my own cafe chain."

"I really admire people with dreams they want to pursuit."

"How so? You don't have your own?"

"Well.. at least I don't think I have any that strong ones."

As they talk more, Jennie asks to help Rose clean a bit as she feels she just interrupted Rose. Rose is a bit resistant, but never says no to help.

The girls close the cafe and talk. Rose warms up after a while and feels less awkward with Jennie. Jennie is a really easy person to be around and she is more outgoing than Rose, so Rose does not have the pressure to start topics because Jennie does.

"I assume you've always lived here right?", Jennie says.

"Yes. My parents are korean though, but I was born and raised here. I've only visited Seoul a couple of times"

"My parents are Korean too.", Jennie gives Rose a small happy glance. "I was born there, then lived in New Zealand and my mom would have wanted me to move back to Seoul for uni, but I wanted to come here. I felt I didn't quite fit with the Korean culture."

"Ahh I feel that too! I see myself as an Australian rather than Korean."

**********

It has been an hour and the girls have just talked. Rose looks outside and realises it has stopped raining as well as the cafe is ready for her to go home.

"Should we head out?", Rose asks. "It doesn't rain anymore."

"Oh I didn't even realise.", Jennie laughs a little. "Yes sure."

Rose opens the door and lets Jennie out.

They start walking to the same direction and they both give put a small laugh.

"Thank you again, for letting me in.", Jennie says.

"No problem. Thanks for helping me clean.", Rose smiles at her.

"Well, I better get going. I'll see you", Jennie waves her hand at Rose and then walks off.

Rose waves back at her, looks after her for a second and then continues to get home.