Chapter 7 - Growing Pains

Sarah's POV

Baby Nora was gurgling happily, her fists grasping at her daddy's shirt as she wiggled on his chest. Barry tilted his head on the pillow, smiling over at me while I was curled up in bed with him.

You know what's kind of stupid?" I spoke up, tracing a finger down Nora's back. "I'm actually worried that Nora hasn't developed any sort of separation anxiety."

Isn't that a good thing?" Barry asked.

On the surface, yes, But what if it's because she doesn't feel a connection to us? I told him firmly.
"We're always leaving her at the West's because of some new meta to fight. Are we not spending enough to time with her? Am I a neglectful mother?"

Sarah, no No. You hear me? 'Cause I'll say it again: No. You are the best mother a baby could ask for. Maybe we just need to work together and figure out a better system? Barry said firmly. He lifted Nora and sat up, sitting his baby in his lap. "I mean, you and Ice are separated now. Your body as weird as that sounds, doesn't have to go into the field ever again."

"That is a perk, If all I'm doing is running coms and playing doctor." I simply added, flipping onto my back. "then I'll be able to have Nora with me a lot more often."

"Exactly, especially because she's napping so much now," Barry agreed. He swooped Nora into the air, making her shriek with laughter. "Because your such a sleepy girl, huh? Are you a little sleepy girl?"

"Dada!" Nora squealed, grabbing onto his hair. Barry winced and, laughing, I hurried to untangle her daughter's fingers from his head.

"Breakfast!"

We flinched and exchanged awkward glances at the sound of adult Nora's (AKA the Speed Force's) voice. "Sorry," Barry said finally, "but I find it just a little odd that the face of my dead mother is in the kitchen making me breakfast while I lie in bed with my wife and daughter."

"Okay, so it's a bit of an abnormal situation," I simply replied. I felt bad, having made a split-second decision to invite Nora to stay while Barry was still comatose. "But did you really expect me to look her in the eyes and tell her to crash in a cold spare room at STAR Labs? She's kind of family. Ish. In a weird way."

"That's not very scientific," Barry told me before sobering up a bit. "It just take last night, for example. Seeing her interact with Nora -baby Nora, I mean- was bizarre. And it stung a little, too, to be honest. My mother, the reason she wears that face... she never got to meet her granddaughter."

"I know, And I'm sorry. I can't imagine how hard that must be for you." I told him.

Barry gave me a ruthful smile. Then he pressed a quick kiss to my cheek and rolled out of bed, Nora still cuddled in his arms. "We should get some food. I know someone who wants her cheerios..."

"Cheeos!" Nora said happily and I laughed and followed them out of the bedroom.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nora and I were getting breakfast ready on the table. Earlier, Ice told me she went to go get Jitters. Barry sped inside the house with a bag of food.

Who's hungry?" Barry asked

"Hi," I greeted him. "I didn't think you'd be out of bed already."

Yeah, there was a car fire on Route 220," Barry mentioned. "And I thought I'd bring home some breakfast, but this looks a lot better. Is that blueberry compote?"