Legacy

"Well boy," Albert continued, "I'll start by explaining what a grimm is."

"Okay, Pop-Pop" Lincoln paid close attention to what his grandfather was going to say.

"A grimm is a person who can see these beings, just like in the drawing and as you saw that klaustreich. By the way, you have to be careful, they are bastards who beat women and are quite aggressive."

"Okay, I'll be careful with that boy," the boy assured. "But I have a question, you said you see them sometimes, aren't you a grimm?"

"No, I'm not a grimm." "I am a Kehrseite-Schlich-Kennen, I know it is difficult to pronounce," laughed the old man.

"What's a kehrs-that?" Lincoln laughed somewhat embarrassed.

"Don't worry Lincoln, I'll explain it to you now. A Kehrseite-Schlich-Kennen is a normal person, like me, who knows about wesen, the 'monsters' that a grimm can see. Wesen have two transformations, which are called woge."

"Ok, this is kind of weird, but I think I get it." The boy scratched his head.

"As I said, the first woge happens when a wesen feels a strong emotion, happiness, fear, anxiety, etc. That's what only grimms and other Wesen can see. That's how you saw that klaustreich."

"I see, what about the second one?"

"The second woge is called a 'full woge', it is when the wesen loses control and shows itself as it is. This woge can be seen by anyone and usually happens when it is about to attack."

"This is more interesting than any biology class," Lincoln commented. "But I have a question, why was Chandler, the Klaustreich, afraid of me? I don't feel I'm menacing."

Hearing that question, Albert mentally prepared himself to answer it and sighed heavily.

"Grimms are something like the wesen police and formerly they were police, judge and... executioner."

The white-haired young man widened his eyes.

"Chandler thought I was going to kill him," he whispered.

"That's right. But listen, Lincoln," he added quickly when he was shocked, "being a grimm doesn't necessarily mean you have to go around chopping heads off. Not all Wesen are bad. Something that unfortunately took a long time to find out."

"Good, I can't imagine killing people." Lincoln sighed and gave a very slight smile that quickly disappeared.

"Do you remember the name I mentioned to you, Nick Burkhardt?"

The boy nodded.

"He's a unique grimm, since he's the first to have wesen friends, as far as I know he's still in Portland, Oregon."

"How do you know he has wesen friends?" Lincoln was surprised, and already liked this Nick guy.

"In the wesen world, rumors spread fast," Albert laughed softly, "but enough of that, I still need to tell you about our family. You see, there are several grimm families and each one has different characteristics."

"That's cool! What characteristics do we have?" The boy asked excitedly.

"Well, as a general rule, there are no grimms in each generation, usually two or more generations skip. That's why my grandfather was a grimm, but I wasn't," the old man explained. "He told me grimms are stronger, more agile, and more resilient than a normal human, that's how they can deal with very dangerous wesen. Also, in our particular line, the grimm is born with white hair, my grandfather had white hair since he was a child, just like you, Lincoln."