ꜱɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ | ʜᴏᴡ ᴛᴏ ʟᴏꜱᴇ ᴀ ɢɪʀʟ ɪɴ ᴏɴᴇ ᴅᴀʏ

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

𝐈𝐟 𝐒𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐚 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐞𝐧𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞, 𝐬𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰.

Not understanding is nothing new, and it's definitely nothing alarming. But although she never quite understood Mena (she suspects this could be a scientific field of its own), she really did try to. Attempting to understand was the Valentine family way of doing things. Learning all about the person you care about and memorising all the ticks and buzzes of their mind, until you know precisely how to care for them. She's had practice at this, and she might even dare to say that she's good at it.

The rules of the game, to Silena, always seemed quite simple.

Leave it to Mena to make it all complicated.

As hard as she tries- and she tries pretty fucking hard- Silena just can't figure it out. What's even more frustrating is that everything seemed fine only a little while ago. Instead of teasing her until she blushes or pestering her endlessly, Mena keeps her distance in an almost calculated manner, and leaves her cup of morning coffee cold and untouched on the nightstand. It makes Silena want to shake her, demanding an answer. But the pathetic truth is that she doesn't know how to talk to Mena when she's acting like this.

The even more pathetic truth is that she'd rather take whatever this is than push her away entirely.

Besides, she tried all of that already. But instead of shaping up after their confrontation in the dressing room the other day, all Mena did is become more careful in her avoidance.

The worst thing is, Silena doesn't even know what she's pushing her away for.

Could it be that she still has a thing for Jonah? That she's jealous because she thinks that he might still be into Silena?

God.

She really hoped that coming out as a lesbian would rid her of all the boy drama.

But time doesn't care for teen angst. The days leading up to the dance pass by dizzyingly quick, until one snowy Friday afternoon finds Silena laying down against the pillows on the bed, Mena leaning over her body.

Alright.

Backtrack.

That probably isn't the best way to introduce what's happening.

The mental image created there might turn a bit tamer when combined with the facts that they're both fully clothed, and that Mena is currently holding a make-up brush in her hand. Silena is sure there are less compromising positions people could take while doing each other's make-up, but it's not like she's going to complain.

"I hope we won't get snowed in," She says, awkward and stilted in her delivery.

Mena only hums in response.

And oh, very well, then.

If she isn't responsive during weather talk, Silena might as well just delve right into the hard-hitting topics.

"I think I want to tell Jonah. Before they announce the winners, I mean."

This does sway Mena's faked apathy a little. She pauses in her work.

"Tell him what?"

"You know. About the whole fake dating thing."

Mena frowns, but resumes what she had been doing before. Silena isn't used to such demure, quiet reactions coming from the other girl. Such indifference would usually spark at her temper and make her angry, but they're currently too close for concealment of feelings. Even if Mena keeps her silence, Silena can see the unevenness of her breath.