chapter sixteen

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

News spread like wildfire around Hogwarts. Dumbledore's disappearance was known around school by the time Clara went down for breakfast. Other news also escaped the whispers of students, Umbridge was now Headmaster. Brilliant.

Clara sat at the Gryffindor table next to Ginny, ignoring the school rules once again. Luna sat next to Ginny as well and was trying to get Ginny's hair in a side braid. 

"Oh, I expect she really fancies herself sitting up there in the Head's office," said Hermione viciously, closing her book on Herbology. "Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old —" 

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?" Draco Malfoy had walked towards them, followed by Crabbe and Goyle. His pale, pointed face was alight with malice. "Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Gryffindor."

"Stop it, Draco." Clara said.

"And Slytherin too?" He tutted. "Still can't believe you hang out with scum like this, Clara. What happened to you?"

"What happened to you?" Clara asked angrily, "You used to be kind, at least to a select few students. Why are you following that toad's lead?"

"Besides, only teachers can dock points." Ginny said.

"Yeah, we're prefects too, remember?'' Ron said, pointing to Hermione and Clara.

"I know prefects can't dock points, Weasel King," sneered Malfoy; Crabbe and Goyle sniggered. "But members of the Inquisitorial Squad —" 

"The what?" said Hermione sharply. 

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Granger," said Malfoy, pointing toward a tiny silver badge upon his robes just beneath his prefect's badge. "A select group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, handpicked by Professor Umbridge. Anyway, members of the Inquisitorial Squad do have the power to dock points. . . . So, Granger, I'll have five from you for being rude about our new headmistress. . . . Clara, five for insulting me. . . . Five because I don't like you, Potter . . .Weasley, your shirt's untucked, so I'll have another five for that. . . . Oh yeah, I forgot, you're a Mudblood, Granger, so ten for that. . . ." 

Ron pulled out his wand, but Hermione pushed it away, whispering, "Don't!" 

"Wise move, Granger," breathed Malfoy. "New Head, new times. . . Be good now, Potty . . . Weasel King . . ." He strode away, laughing heartily with Crabbe and Goyle. 

Hermione patted Ron's shoulder gently in an effort to calm the steaming boy. Clara sighed and pushed away her oatmeal. She looked to Harry, who was sitting across from her and tapped his hand. He looked up quickly.

"He can't really dock points, can he? I reckon I've got a howler coming soon, and losing house points really isn't going to help."

"It's not like Malfoy to lie, is it?"

"No it's not." Clara agreed quietly. She looked at the hourglasses which held the house points. Sure enough, Gryffindor had lost at least fifty points since this morning, and Slytherin had lost five. 

Owls began to flood the Great Hall and Clara closed her eyes. Please don't have any mail. She didn't know if she could take the embarrassment of a howler right now. Especially not in front of the entire school.

A red envelope fluttered in front of her and Clara's eyes widened. Harry looked at her sympathetically, before moving his food, these things could get explosive.

"Want me to open it for you?" Harry offered.

"No, it's ok. I should just get it over with."

Clara could feel the entirety of Gryffindor table looking at her, and she knew that as soon as she opened the letter the entire hall would join. Her fingers traced the sealed wax, her family crest looked so beautiful in the red wax, but the beauty would soon fade. Clara ripped the seal and set the letter onto the table.