chapter three

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

It had been a week since classes started and Clara had already been swarmed with work. It was good for her though, it kept her mind off of other things that could linger there. 

She awoke with a start and rushed to put on her jacket and coat. It was her father's birthday and she wanted to make sure he got her present before he went to bed.

She clutched onto the railing of the stairway of the Owlery. She opened the door and immediately regretted it. She saw the famous Gryffindor sending off a letter with a stunning white owl.

"Hi." Harry said.

"Er- hi? I'm sorry, I didn't think anyone would be up here this early."

She walked to where he was standing and carefully tied her parcel to a school owl. She petted its head and it leaned into her hand. She smiled and continued the affectionate motion.

"Who's that for?" Harry said, gesturing to her parcel.

"None of your business." she said.

"Jeez, I was just curious."

"Curiosity is a terrible thing." 

There was an uncomfortable silence between the two as the owl left with her package.

"It's for my dad, it's his birthday today."

"Oh, my dad's dead."

"Godric, you're a great converser."

"You're real grand yourself miss 'none of your business'."

"Oh really?"

"Really." Harry said, crossing his arms.

"Well I'll have you know that I pride myself in being a good conver-"

The door swung open and the two froze in place.

It was Mr. Filch, the caretaker and his darling cat, Mrs. Norris. Although Clara never got along with Mr. Filch, she always could count on Mrs. Norris to cheer her up. The fluffy cat had yellow eyes that twinkled with some kind of secret knowledge.

"Aha!" Filch said pointing at Harry, "I've had a tip-off that you are placing an order of dungbombs!"

Harry shook his head in disbelief.

"Who told you I was ordering dungbombs?"

Clara looked from Harry to Filch and frowned.

"I have my sources, now send over whatever it is you're sending."

"I can't. It's gone."

"Gone?" Filch's face dropped and his posture sunk lower than usual.

"Gone." Harry said with a smirk.

Filch looked shocked and opened his mouth a few times before speaking again.

"How do I know you haven't got it in your pocket?"