chapter twenty eight

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

As the walls trembled again, Harry led the other three back through the concealed entrance and down the staircase into the Room of Requirement. It was empty except for three women: Ginny, Tonks, and an elderly witch wearing a moth-eaten hat.

"Ah, Potter," she said crisply as if she had been waiting for him. "You can tell us what's going on." 

"Is everyone okay?" said Ginny and Tonks together. 

"'S far as we know," said Harry. "Are there still people in the passage to the Hog's Head?"

"I was the last to come through," said Mrs. Longbottom. "I sealed it, I think it unwise to leave it open now Aberforth has left his pub. Have you seen my grandson?" 

"He's fighting," said Harry. 

"Naturally," said the old lady proudly. "Excuse me, I must go and assist him." 

With surprising speed she trotted off toward the stone steps. Harry looked at Tonks before she quickly took off after the old woman, who Clara assumed must be Neville's grandmother, who he often talked about during their study sessions.. 

"Ginny," said Harry, "I'm sorry, but we need you to leave too. Just for a bit. Then you can come back in." Ginny looked simply delighted to leave her sanctuary. "And then you can come back in!" he shouted after her as she ran up the steps after Tonks. "You've got to come back in!" 

"She's not coming back," said Clara with a smile.

"Right, let's hope Mrs. Weasley doesn't kill me for that."

"Hang on a moment!" said Ron sharply. "We've forgotten someone!"

"Who?" asked Hermione. 

"The house-elves, they'll all be down in the kitchen, won't they?" 

"You mean we ought to get them fighting?" asked Harry. 

"No," said Ron seriously, "I mean we should tell them to get out. We don't want anymore Dobbies, do we? We can't order them to die for us—"

There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione's arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet. 

"Is this the moment?" Harry asked weakly. Clara held back a squeal and squeezed Harry's hand as he rolled his eyes. This was certainly the moment. When nothing happened except that Ron and Hermione gripped each other still more firmly and swayed on the spot, Harry raised his voice. "Oi! There's a war going on here!" 

Ron and Hermione broke apart, their arms still around each other. "I know, mate," said Ron, who looked as though he had recently been hit on the back of the head with a Bludger, "so it's now or never, isn't it?" 

"Never mind that, what about the Horcrux?" Harry shouted. Clara swatted his shoulder and he lowered his voice. "D'you think you could just— just hold it in until we've got the diadem?" 

"Yeah— right— sorry— " said Ron, and he and Hermione set about gathering up fangs, both pink in the face.

"I think it's sweet," said Clara. 

"Of course you do. You've only been wanting them together for ages." said Harry. 

"But they're so good together!"

"Yeah," said Harry, though he was looking right at Clara. "They really are." Clara smiled at Harry brightly. He leaned down and kissed her cheek. "Come on, we've got things to do."