chapter four

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The group half walked, half ran up the wide dark street thronged with late-night revelers and lined with closed shops, stars twinkling above them. A double-decker bus rumbled by and a group of merry pub-goers ogled them as they passed;Harry and Ron were still wearing dress robes. Hermione and Clara were still in their elegant dresses.

"Hermione, we haven't got anything to change into," Ron told her, as a young woman burst into raucous giggles at the sight of him. 

"Why didn't I make sure I had the Invisibility Cloak with me?" said Harry, "All last year I kept it on me and— " 

"It's okay, I've got the Cloak, I've got clothes for all of you," said Hermione, "Just try and act naturally until— this will do. "She led them down a side street, then into the shelter of a shadowy alleyway. Clara followed them aimlessly, her mind jumping five places at once.

"When you say you've got the Cloak, and clothes . . . " said Harry, frowning at Hermione, who was carrying nothing except her small beaded handbag, in which she was now rummaging. 

"Yes, they're here," said Hermione, and to Harry and Ron's utter astonishment, she pulled out a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, some maroon socks, and finally the silvery Invisibility Cloak. 

"How the ruddy hell—?" 

"Undetectable Extension Charm," said Hermione. "Tricky, butI think I've done it okay; anyway, I managed to fit everything we need in here." She gave the fragile-looking bag a little shake and it echoed like a cargo hold as a number of heavy objects rolled around inside it. "Oh, damn, that'll be the books," she said, peering into it, "and I had them all stacked by subject. . . . Oh well. . . . Harry, you'd better take the Invisibility Cloak. Ron, hurry up and change. . . ." 

"When did you do all this?" Harry asked as Ron stripped off his robes. 

"I told you at the Burrow, I've had the essentials packed for days, you know, in case we needed to make a quick getaway. I packed your rucksack this morning, Harry, after you changed, and put it in here. . . . I just had a feeling. . . ." 

"You're amazing, you are," said Ron, handing her his bundled up robes. "Thank you," said Hermione, managing a small smile as she pushed the robes into the bag. "Please, Harry, get that Cloak on! And Clara, these are for you."

Hermione tossed Clara a pair of her jeans and a simple t-shirt. Clara barely caught the clothes. She stood still as Hermione and Ron changed into their new outfits and Harry fiddled with his cloak. 

"Come on, get dressed." said Hermione again. Clara stood silently, her eyes trained to the clothes that were now in her hands. "Clara?"

The group paused and stared at Clara. Harry moved forward and gripped her hand in his. "Clara, what's wrong?"

"I-" started Clara, her voice barely coming out against her now very heavy breathing, "I didn't- I couldn't-"

"Okay, woah, woah," said Harry, wrapping her in a hug, "It's okay. Calm down, just breathe." Clara focused on her breath as Harry held her tightly in the alleyway. In and out, in and out. Her breathes became more stable and she pushed Harry's chest away lightly. He released from the hug, but continued to hold his hand in his. "Better?" he asked. Clara nodded. "Okay, good. Now what's the matter?"

"I didn't say goodbye to Luna." said Clara. "I promised her I would say goodbye and I didn't."

"It's okay, she'll understand."

"I know she'll understand, but what if I never see her again?"

"You will." said Ron, "We'll make sure of it."