30. Daniel

DANIEL

Out of all the times Daniel sat in the back seat with Blake, this was his least favorite. If it wasn't for the last week of their bickering and cold shoulders, Daniel could imagine all the things he would do with Blake Winslow in the back of a car, and they were leagues more fun than Daniel sneaking glances at him in-between staring out the window.

No. The ride to the Gala was unbearably quiet. It was the kind of silence bursting with all the things they needed to say but didn't. It created anticipation with no end. Michael didn't even try to lighten the mood with small talk, but then again, that was above his pay grade. His job tonight was getting the prince to the Gala. Not to clean Daniel's mess.

Michael's night would involve going home early to Wesley and most likely complaining about the adult men he's forced to babysit. 

The stolen glances were the small morsels keeping Daniel nourished. Not fed. Not even close to being full. He'd bump Blake's knee and that would curve his hunger. They'd accidently brush their hands on the seat and Daniel could last a few more minutes. Seeing Blake still blush and nervously fiddle with his engagement ring comforted Daniel's aching stomach.

Daniel opened his mouth, a compliment on his lips. Just because they were fighting, didn't mean Blake didn't deserve to know how incredible he looked tonight.

Daniel's tailor out did himself with this dark sapphire blue suit that fit the witch like a glove. It highlighted his slim elegant form while accentuating his perky butt. It was maddening. All dressed up like the last cookie in the cookie jar. Tempting enough to make Daniel's mouth water. Forbidden enough to drive him crazy.

At least Daniel looked adequate enough for Blake to ogle him too.

This was cruel and unusual torture.

But before Daniel could come up with an elegant way of telling Blake he'd love to see how easy it would be to take that gorgeous suit off, Blake spoke first. "Um," Clearly nervous, Blake had to clear his throat. This delighted Daniel, who moved closer and tilted his head around to entrap his fiancé. Maybe if Blake wanted to kiss him so bad, they could avoid talking and just make-out. Talking only led to more fighting.

And Daniel wasn't a liar.

He wouldn't lie to Blake just to be forgiven. Then, it wouldn't be real or mean anything.

Blake sucked in a breath, obviously flustered by their closeness. He held it in his chest as he suggested. "Let's call a truce for tonight. Not all of Sagewick needs to be in the middle of our fight."

Daniel nodded. "I agree."

"Besides, one news scandal is enough for me."

"Don't worry. I won't let that happen again...." Daniel gazed out the window at the flashing cameras and the line of people heading inside the Sagewick Museum. They reserved the great room for the ball so there'd be more spots to present the art going to auction. Daniel recognized plenty of guests that would be staying in town until the end of the week. For the bigger event. The wedding.

"Shall we?" Daniel asked, offering his hand to Blake.

Blake stared at him. He was too stubborn to really let this fight go, but the truce was his suggestion. With a sigh, Blake took his hand, and they walked the blue carpet into the museum. The carpet was littered with flecks of fake white snow, even though the chill in the air promised the real thing any moment. The walk was lined with small Christmas trees surrounded by presents wrapped in shiny silvers and golds and all the ropes were tangled together with tinsel.