21. Daniel/Blake

DANIEL

This place brought back old memories. Daniel recalled how exhausting he was after every stuffy etiquette class. He wasn't like the other students who could fail and learn as they went. Daniel needed to perform and make sure he was setting the best example during every class and even in-between sessions.

Some of the kids joked that he was only a natural because of the royal blood coursing through his veins. They really had no idea just how much he was trying and giving his all. Meanwhile, Josephine spent more time goofing off and gossiping than actually learning.

For whatever reason, he felt a strong compulsion to call his cousin. When she picked up, she asked, "What's wrong? Did I make a mistake somewhere in the schedule? I could've sworn I triple-checked that thing. Even Michael gave me the thumbs up... well, he didn't really reply at all, but that's like receiving high praise from him."

"No, no, I just wanted to call. You'll never guess where I am."

She was quiet.

Daniel just assumed it was because she really had no guesses. Daniel laughed. "I'm at Madam Petunia's Etiquette School. I just found a piece of the wall where you carved your name and..." Daniel dropped to his hind legs and peered at a strange carving. "And you etched a penis into the wall? Josephine, honestly? Your mother would've shipped you off to boarding school if you had gotten caught."

That day, all those years ago, Daniel was asked to stand guard while Josephine used a small pocketknife, she borrowed from one of the other boys to quote her: "leave her mark." He didn't want to do it, but he figured he'd be blamed for her antics as if stopping her was somehow his job. Nothing could stop his cousin from doing anything. However, if she never got caught, they'd both be saved from their parents' fury.

"Daniel?" Josephine questioned.

"Josephine? Are you breaking up?"

"No, I'm just making sure it's you I'm talking to."

"Who else would it be?"

"I don't know. A body swapper? A liar? You've never called me before just to have a chat."

"Never? That can't be true."

"I've tried calling you, but you always say you're too busy. If I were cruel, I'd hang up on you right now. You're lucky I'm a softie. And you're right, I can't believe you're there! I'd catch fire if I stepped one foot back into that place. Does it still smell like wood polish?"

Daniel chuckled and nodded. "You'd think time had stopped."

"I hate it. You're not taking a class, are you? No, you must be hosting a seminar on how to shake hands for three hours or you're giving advice on the secret to avoiding cutesy nicknames. Bubbles should've stuck."

"I'm pretty sure I blocked that one out."

Josephine laughed and Daniel checked the time. "Sorry if I bothered you. Just wanted to call before I had a meeting over wedding colors."

"No trouble at all. Daniel, you can call me whenever you want."

Daniel nodded. Carefully, he picked up a floor vase and moved it a few inches to cover Josephine's name. "You can call me too. Will you be at dinner? My mother wants us all to start eating together before the wedding."

"Wouldn't miss it."

They said their goodbyes, so Daniel put away his phone. It was only then he noticed Michael standing to the side. Something seemed off about his assistant, something so important that Michael couldn't help but ask, "Your highness, may I have a word?"