22. Daniel/Blake

DANIEL

Frances raised his hand, raising his voice even louder. "In this dinner party, I wanna play a prince!" His voice bounced all over the ballroom at the Venture Hotel. It stood grandly in the center of Sagewick and most tourists flocked to it.

This afternoon, Daniel appreciated the hotel more for its convenient spot, less for ornate windows that let in so much crisp natural lighting or soaring ceilings. It was painted a pure cotton white color while the trimmings remained gold to matching the hanging chandeliers. Here, they could have anything and everything delivered with the upmost ease. One by one, cakes from all over Sagewick were being brought to their one round table, surrounded by the emptiness. This way, they had something to eat and they could pick out their cake.

Daniel loved multitasking as much as he loved a new pair of socks.

Michael sighed, the vein in his forehead throbbing. He had shed his blazer and loosened his tie. Something about him needed to be put at ease when everything about this etiquette class was going to be anything but easy.

Michael rubbed one of his eyes and explained to Frances like he was a preschooler, "You're already a prince, Frances. And besides, I already told you, we don't even need characters-"

"I'll be a lord!" Ignacio piped up as if he nothing Michael said. Frances leaned closer to him, sparks practically whizzing from his form, he seemed so happy. "But I'm secretly a musician of meager beginnings, sneaking into the court to woo my true love."

"That's the spirit!" Frances threw his hands up as he leaned back into his chair, raising the two front legs. "I wanna be a duchess that is sleeping with every man and woman in court and selling their secrets."

Frances winked at Ignacio.

"Then, I'll be the prince," Adrian said with an amused smile.

Giving up, Michael stated, "Only Prince Daniel and Blake get to be the princes."

Adrian shrugged. "Then, a king will do."

Daniel met Adrian's eyes, a strange coil tightening around his heart. Something didn't sit right with Daniel, but he couldn't place the cause. Adrian had always been cold to Daniel. Even when he was a kid, Adrian didn't seem overly impressed with him... but Adrian was always a man of duty. This attitude was off.

"I'll understand if you want to change roles," Blake whispered to Daniel, just lightly touching his leg.

"The court jester does seem rather tempting," Daniel spoke low, only for Blake to hear. He leaned in closer and watched in amusement as Blake's cheeks reddened. Daniel realized the closer he got the more Blake seemed to blush. Nothing delighted Daniel more.

But that tightness in his chest remained.

Glancing at Adrian, Daniel noticed he was watching. Daniel's smile widened as his childish nature flared up again. He sat his hand on Blake's thigh and whispered right into his ear, "But I don't think the hat would suit me."

Blake laughed nervously.

And Daniel's eyes wandered back to Adrian, whose jaw was clenched tight. His hand curled around his fork as he asked Michael, "Any advice on how to handle unpolite dinner guests? Or guests you simply dislike?"

"Yes." Michael nodded. "Actually, pretend they're dogs or a baby and pretend you can't understand what in the world they're saying, so just be agreeable for the sake of being agreeable."

"Hmm."

Daniel stuck his fork through the closet cake, down seven layers of chocolate and mousse. He held it up for Blake, keeping his free hand underneath to catch the crumbs. Blake's eyebrows shot up, but he still took the bite. He licked the stray frosting off his lips and Daniel's mouth watered. He wished they were alone.