Prologue: Seven Years Ago

After his disturbing visit with young Tom, Dumbledore made his way to the room across the way.

"What do you know of Anastasia De Meath?" he asked.

"Anastasia?" Mrs. Cole answered. "She and Tom have been inseparable when she was dropped off at the age of four."

"Has she exhibited similar tendencies?"

"Never. On the contrary, she's like a miracle child!" Mrs. Cole explained. "For the most part, when something goes wrong in her presence, everything seems to work out! To be quite honest with you, Mister Dumbledore, I believe that if Tom had not bonded with her, there would have been more of the unfortunate incidents. She's right through here."

Mrs. Cole opened the door, revealing a young girl with white hair. Her face hidden behind a worn out copy of To Kill A Mockingbird.

"Anastasia... there's someone here to see you," Mrs. Cole announced before leaving the room.

"Hello Anastasia," said Dumbledore as she put her book down. "My name is Professor Dumbledore. I've heard a lot about you."

"All good, I hope," she answered with a chuckle.

"More than good," Dumbledore smiled. "Miraculous, some might say... For example, Dennis' broken ankle healed with a full recovery in three days!"

"Dennis is just a fast healer," she replied.

"You can do things that others can't... magic, some might say," said Dumbledore. "Would you be able to tell me in detail?"

Anastasia was silent before grabbing a small stone off her desk. She grasped it in her hand as her amethyst-hued eyes gave a slight glow. When the glow faded she placed into Dumbledore's hand, not a stone, but a ring of silver.

"I've been working on it..." Anastasia said sheepishly.

Dumbledore stared at the ring in awe, after all, it was not everyday that a young witch or wizard without any transfigurational instruction would turn a small rock to a band of silver.

"What else can you do?" he asked, slipping the band on his finger.

She then turned her gaze to the seashell on the windowsill that appeared to be the other half of an oyster shell in Tom's room and it began to spin and jump. He smiled fondly at the seashell's performance.

"Why are you here?" she asked curiously.

"I'm here to invite you to a school for children such as yourself," Dumbledore answered. "Hogwarts, a school for young witches and wizards."

"I don't think I'm a witch," Anastasia mumbled. "Yes, I can do these strange things but... I don't have much experience with witchcraft and wizardry. I'll probably be heading in with a big disadvantage."

"You speak as if education is a competition," replied Dumbledore.

"Essentially it is," answered Anastasia. "Young students compete for the best marks in tests that measure how well they retain information. They compete for certain titles upon graduation. Later, they either compete for a job or a place in an institution of higher education."

"An astute observation," Dumbledore replied, taken back by her explanation.

"Even if I were to attend this school and pass all my classes, what are my chances of acquiring steady income and housing without marriage?" inquired Anastasia. "I was originally planning to finish school and apply to Somerville. I'm not sure what major yet."

"That's quite the plan," Dumbledore answered. "However, I wouldn't say your lack of knowledgeability of this new world would impact you too negatively in your studies at Hogwarts. To be honest with you, Anastasia, your degree of control over your magic is much higher than that of a normal witch or wizard of your age. And besides, you seem like a fast learner."