Chapter Sixteen: Dealings with a Devil

(C/W: This chapter will contain underage consumption of alcohol. Technically, sixteen-year-olds are allowed to drink butterbeer, but the minors will still get mildly drunk. Per usual, I do not condone nor encourage this type of behavior. Thank you and I hope you enjoy the chapter.)

Anastasia stood there in shock. Eventually she had emerged from her confusion.

    "How do you know who I am?" she inquired cautiously.

    "Any dabbler of wizard history would know who you are, who your family was," Grindelwald sighed, standing up straight and turning towards her. "Oh put that wand down. I'm unarmed."

He opened his coat, showing his wand sheath empty.

"You can do a lot of damage even without a wand," she answered coldly, not following his command.

"So can you, things other wizards can't. And that's what scared them, wasn't it? The power of your ancestors and their Eternal Flame. Why they hunted you down and killed you all..."

    "What exactly made you think that we'd meet?" she asked sharply. Her patience grew thin and she could feel herself begin to slip into a panic.

    "We are both powerful individuals," he said. "With the might of your ancestral fire and my dark magic, we were bound to cross paths eventually."

    "What precisely do you want from me?" she questioned, her voice slightly wavering. Whatever he wanted, it couldn't be good.

    "I want to cordially invite you to join my Revolution... For the Greater Good," Grindelwald said, handing her a slip of paper. "You don't have to decide now, but have a decision by the time the Rosier's Christmas Ball comes around."

    "Why? I'm probably not going to get an invitation anyways," she answered, taking the paper from him. It was blank, but somehow it made her feel sick holding it.

    "You'll find a way," he smirked. "If what I've heard about you is true..."

    "Which would be... what?" she inquired.

    "Oh nothing much, just report cards... your permanent record," he smiled, circling her. "You get many lovely comments from your instructors. Nice, helpful, responsible, shows an interest, things like that. All Outstandings in every class. Lingering whispers of your legendary duelling and intellectual ideology that melds muggle with magic. If you wished... you could rule the world."

    "Seems I'm pretty famous then," she quipped, still staring at him and ready to attack at a moment's notice. "But you didn't answer my previous question... why do you want me to join your group so badly? Why are you putting so much effort into a teenage girl who hasn't even finished school or accomplished anything outside of it?"

    "I want to get the dragons in on this fight," Grindelwald said. "and I'd rather not lose half of my men in the process. Your ancestors reasoned with dragons in the elder days, so it stands that you should be able to as well. Also, Hogwarts has never been a very good place for students that want to aim high in life. They don't quell your ambitions and teach those who want more than the rigid curriculum. That's why poor Albus was always so bored there. Point is, I want to teach you. I don't want to leave you to that crumbling, old castle where everything will always come easy. I want to challenge you and I know that you want to be challenged as well, but I can only help you learn if you join me."

    "What changes would you be making, in your new world," she inquired. "Besides the subjugation of muggles and muggleborns, that is."

    "Oh... no! No, no, no," he said. "All those with magic are to be cherished, regardless of their heritage, muggleborns will rule with other wizards. It is their birthright."