Chapter Twenty-Four: Lesson One

(C/W: Heavy Bigotry)

Barely before five o'clock in the morning, Anastasia managed to convince North to stay on the camp perimeter and out of sight, much to his displeasure. She crept back into her dark tent, careful to not wake anybody. As she gently placed her Dragons book down onto the table, Sadie's voice sounded from the post in the middle of the tent.

"Where have you been?" Sadie asked, revealing herself from behind the post. "I know you've been gone for at least an hour. So what have you been up to?"

"I couldn't sleep," Anastasia replied nonchalantly. "so I went out on a walk."

"A walk?" scoffed Sadie. "In this weather? Without a coat? Not to mention the fact that there isn't a lick of snow in your hair."

"How would you know?" Anastasia chuckled. "It's darker than the abyss in here and my hair is white."

"I would know because the snow here rains clumpier than back at Hogwarts," Sadie answered. "Lumps would show in your silhouette. Also, your hair's a touch darker than the snow. More of a light silver hue than a white."

"How observant," Anastasia replied succinctly before walking towards Sadie and leaning in. Anastasia lifted her hand in between Sadie and herself, lighting it aflame so that both their faces were lit. "How green. Your eyes serve you well, along with your Ravenclaw intellect. So tell me, what do you think I was doing?"

Sadie's heart was beating out of her chest. The fire was so hot near her skin, forcing her to lean further into the post. Anastasia's sly, twinkling amethyst gaze drew Sadie's green eyes towards hers. The ghost of a smirk on Anastasia's lips made Sadie shiver and flush at the same time.

"Well?" Anastasia inquired. "Are you going to answer me or what?"

"I-I think that you were..." Sadie started, eyes flitting around and fingertips running over the hem of her shirt. Anastasia's eyebrow rose. "meeting someone."

"Oh?" Anastasia asked. "And who would that be?"

"Well... I don't know," Sadie answered sheepishly.

"Really? Not even an idea?"

"No, none at all," Sadie replied. Anastasia stepped away from her, the fire in her hand extinguished. Sadie took in a shaky breath. After a few moments, she added, "Although, I do have a question... and I would appreciate it if you answer it honestly."

"Alright."

"That man... in the cave," Sadie said. "Did you kill him? Were you the one that burned him?"

"Yes," Anastasia replied simply.

"What? Why?" Sadie inquired, thoroughly shocked at Anastasia's answer.

"Honestly? I have no idea. I've been trying to make sense of it since I did it. No such luck."

The breakfast bell rang, signaling everyone outside. Anastasia wordlessly left the tent, leaving Sadie standing there stunned with a million thoughts running through her head. She picked up her half-can of beans and sat on the log. Shortly after, Angelo sat down next to her.

"Morning," Angelo said.

"Morning."

"Are you alright?" Angelo asked.

"Of course, why?"

"Well, you haven't been eating and you just seem..." Angelo took a pause. "off."

"Off? How so?"

"You look distracted all the time," Angelo looked down at his beans and swirled the can in his hand. "Would it be... Robinson? By any chance?"