Chapter Fourteen: The Changings of a Dark Heart

(A/N: Just a heads up, this chapter will include underage drinking. Know that I do not condone such activities, nor do I encourage it. Thank you and I hope you enjoy the chapter. - Raven)

 When Anastasia found herself alone, she sank to the ground, hands around her mouth, sobbing. Why? She had hardly any inkling. After all, it was only a matter of time that it would happen. Perhaps, subconsciously, she was still holding onto that image of the kinder boy running through the meadows with her. Either way, that has long been in the past. It's just a pipe dream, a ghost of what he used to be, and it was all made abundantly clear when he told her about the boy on the floor and when she saw that glint in his eyes. She continued to cry as quietly as she could until someone knelt down beside her. Anastasia didn't know who it was at first, but quickly recognized the voice of Angelo.

"Hey... what's wrong?" Angelo inquired.

"Remember the things I couldn't tell you because of the Vow?" asked Anastasia, unsure if she would die or not.

"The Unbreakable Vow that Tom made you pledge?" Angelo questioned before realization dawned on him. "Oh my god, this was it?"

Anastasia closed her eyes, as if welcoming the death that may overtake her. She sat there quietly for a few moments, listening to Angelo's panicked breaths, but her mind didn't go dark nor did her life flash before her eyes. Opening her eyes, she saw Angelo leaning on his hand which was against the wall, the other raking through his gelled hair. The waves of inky black fell out of place, into his eyes and sticking up and out.

"What was it?" Angelo inquired. "What made that seventh-year like he was? What creature?"

"Angelo, I don't know if I will die if I say anymore," Anastasia sighed. "I was already pushing it when I gave you that hint."

"Right... sorry," Angelo muttered, pacing back and forth, lips trembling. "I mean... I knew he was messed up. But this? This goes way beyond his... biases. This is murder! Actual genocide!"

"The boy wasn't dead, so technically it's attempted murder," Anastasia said quietly. "Genocide part's right, though."

"We have to tell a teacher," Angelo concluded.

"No!" Anastasia replied. "We have no concrete proof and it's our word against his. The only person who'd believe us is Dumbledore and even with his title of Deputy Headmaster, his authority is limited. No, I say we wait until he does something to expose himself."

"With something of this magnitude?" Angelo demanded. "He'll be more thorough than ever! Riddle needs to have the influence he has over the teachers, so he isn't going to behave like he did in the Orphanage. Anastasia, there will be no evidence to find!"

"Yes... there will be," she responded, a newfound resolve coursing through her. "He'll only be thorough if there's no one there to distract him."

"No... no!" Angelo scoffed. "Tom is no longer performing cruel pranks or petty crimes! You're playing in a completely different ballpark than you were. He's prepared for it. Hell, I think he's been prepared for it. But, I don't think that you are. I think that if you continue your work... you're going to see a lot of him that you don't want to see and you may not recover. Just like Amy and Dennis."

"Well that's just a risk I have to take," she said, the stubborn look in her eyes telling Angelo that he has no chance of changing her mind.

"Fine. On your head, be it," Angelo sighed, exiting the passageway.

Anastasia watched him as he stormed out of the entryway with a strong gait. Sucking in a few deep breaths, she stood, collecting herself. She closed her eyes, preparing herself for what she will have to face for two hours in Potions. Taking one last shaky breath, she rushed down to the dungeons, stopping by her dorm to collect her school things before heading to the Potions lab. Entering as quietly as she could, she caught Tom's eye. His curious gaze followed her as she settled into her seat, completely ignoring Slughorn's boorish lecture on bezoars.