Chapter Eighteen: The Winter Ball

The day of the ball had unceremoniously arrived. Anastasia shivered as she rose out of bed, everything was cold as always. She had awoken late that day, it was nearly noon. From what Mulciber had told her, these elaborate evenings started late and typically ended in the early hours of the morning. Upon hearing this, she had decided the night before that she would sleep in. Rosier was supposed to give her a rundown of the different families that would be attending. With a scowl, she found it on her floor near the door. He must have slid it under, unwilling to wake the beast. She picked it up and flicked her wrist as flames rose in the fireplace. Retyul was still asleep as he typically does during the winter. Many families were supposed to be there, the list was nearly a foot long. Every name seemed unfamiliar to her for the most part, but she had noticed that the Malfoys, Lestranges, Averys, Mulcibers, and Blacks were on the list. Anastasia groaned. This night was going to be a whole lot worse. With any luck, Grindelwald (in all probability, well-disguised) will be there himself and she can just hover around him for the night. Someone knocked on the door.

Sighing, she said, "Come in!"

To her dismay, Rosier came in with a grimace on his face.

"What is it?" she snapped. He walked in, red and black tulle and taffeta draped over his arm.

"Your dress arrived this morning," he replied. "Have you gone over the guest list?"

"Yes. Abraxas, Lestrange, and the others will be there?" she inquired.

"Now you can see why it was unnecessary for you to attend," he answered, placing the expensive dress on her bed.

"I wouldn't say unnecessary," she replied. "Tom's sending me because I get things done. I'm not held back by reputation like you are, but I don't have as much influence as a result, so that's where you come in."

"If you say so," he sighed. "Make sure to eat beforehand. We'll be heading over to my family's winter villa, my sister is picking us up at six. Have your things packed, she doesn't like to wait."

"Winter villa?" she questioned.

"Yes, it's where we have these yearly gatherings!" he sighed in exasperation. "Honestly, keep up will you!"

"You have more than one house?" she thought to herself. "For just one event? That's overkill..."

"I see," Anastasia answered even though she could not fathom why they would waste their money on an upkeep of a house they only used once a year.

"Well, see you at six," he said before exiting. "Oh! Also, change into the dress when we get to the house, not before."

"Roger that," she replied, relishing in his irritated growl at her mocking comment.

The slam of mahogany resounded through the room. He was in a pretty bad mood, which put her into a better one. Sighing, she collapsed onto her bed, deciding to sleep a little more.

***

When she had awoken, it was four o'clock in the afternoon. Lunch was long over and she wouldn't be able to stay for dinner. Sighing, she relented to bothering the house elves for a quick and easy meal. Pulling on her uniform, she trudged out of the Slytherin dungeons and entered Hufflepuff territory, earning a few strange looks from some of them. Knocking on the doors of the kitchens, the house elf, Russel, who had been by her side through everything, opened the door.

"Miss Anastasia!" he beamed. "So lovely to see you again!"

"Heya, Russ," she chuckled. "It's been a while, sorry for my absence."

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Miss!" he smiled. "Oh! Come in! Come in!"

She smiled as she entered the kitchens. Anastasia could smell the vegetables boiling in the pots and the chickens roasting in the