Chapter Seven: Hogsmeade

Saturday after classes, Anastasia made her way down to the Three Broomsticks. She met Madam Rosmerta at the tables after pulling on her apron.

"What do you need me to do?" she asked.

"The other girls and I've got the tables handled," said Madam Rosmerta. "People are starting to come in for drinks, so I'll need you at the bar."

"Of course." Anastasia walked behind the bar, making sure that everything was in place.

"Anastasia!" Slughorn called, accompanied by a man that looked shockingly akin to Newt.

"You've got to be kidding me," she thought, already committing herself to a night of painful, pointless banter with the professor.

"Professor!" she smiled. "What a nice surprise! Anything to drink?"

"I'll just have an Ogden's Old, neat--please," Slughorn said. "And for you, Theseus?"

"A small chilled sherry, please," Theseus smiled.

"Coming up!"

As Anastasia dexterously poured Slughorn's firewhiskey, pushing the glass towards him. She poured the orange-tinted liquid into a tulip-shaped glass, handing it to the other.

"Thank you."

"So, you're the famous Miss De Meath?" Theseus piped. Anastasia halted in her cleaning of the glasses.

"I wasn't aware that I was famous, Mister..."

"Scamander," he replied. "Theseus Scamander. My brother, Newt, met you last night."

"Lovely to meet you Mister Scamander," she answered curtly. "As much as I would love to chat, I've got others I have to take care of."

"Oh!" Slughorn exclaimed. "Of course! Carry on!"

Dumbledore walked up to the bar, ordering a small lemon cocktail.

"Albus!" Slughorn smiled. "How wonderful to see you here!"

"Hello Horace, Theseus," Dumbledore replied.

"Any update on Grindelwald?" inquired Slughorn.

"No, I'm afraid not," Dumbledore answered. "Theseus and his Aurors tracked him to Dublin, but he was long gone by the time we got there."

"We think he's in London, but we can't know for sure," Theseus interjected. "Heading north for Scotland, maybe."

"How are your Aurors?" inquired Dumbledore.

"Not good," Theseus grumbled. "Morale's low. Droves are either joining Grindelwald or resigning. Sweden's pulled out of the force and everyone's overworked. The only thing we have is the internship, but no one's signing up."

"Except for Miss De Meath and the Constantine twins," Slughorn replied. "They're all incredibly powerful, you'll be very lucky to have them in your program."

"Still, using kids just doesn't sit right with me, no matter how desperate we are," Theseus replied.

"I know," Dumbledore agreed grimly, finishing off his drink.

Anastasia heard them, searching her memory for whisperings of Grindelwald. Finally connecting all the dots, she went over to the trio.

"I couldn't help but overhear your conversation, but I don't think you're going to find Grindelwald," Anastasia said tentatively.

"And why is that?" inquired Theseus.

"Over the last few years, I've heard different rumors that he was in Stockholm, Warsaw, Lisbon, Dublin, and London. One of these cities every few months. Knowing his motives and tenacity, why would he waste his time in the same places he has been a plethora of times?" Anastasia explained. "I think he's spreading those rumors in order to keep the Aurors off his back while he prepares for something."