4 - Delayed Tasks

Summary — Taz begins to try accomplish her allotted tasks with her friend during the time she has acquired.

'Thanks for accompanying me Wyndham,' Taz nodded, as she flew over to the kitchen. 'Want some berry fruit salad? I'm making it for my cooking badge.'

'Sure!' Wyndham flumped onto the couch. 'How are the rest of your badges coming along?'

'Not well ... I've been meaning to get to them, but I've been looking after my brothers more often since school has been cancelled,' Taz explained as she placed the berries in a large bowl and drizzled the dressing over the top, tossing gently to coat the berries. 'Dad has been trying to get more time off, but the council has been needing him more and more lately ...'

As she sprinkled some mint leaves into the bowl, Taz took a picture of herself with her salad. A hologram of a badge floated from the tablet, which said: 'You have earned your cooking badge!'

'Huh, that's a Level Two badge I was assigned. Maybe that was a mistake, but I do need to catch up ...' said Taz, who stayed quiet for a moment.

'Hey, is something up?' Wyndham asked.

'... Do you think Speedy regretted his decision on making me a cadet?'

Wyndham flew over and collected his fruit salad.
'Nope,' he smiled. 'I know you'll be a great cadet Taz!'
-----
'Alright, so, I have to earn all my badges, otherwise, I'll arrive at Big Swirl Island even later then expected ...' Taz dreaded thinking about Speedy's disappointed face.

'Big Swirl Island? Gee, that's far ...' Wyndham muttered. 'I thought you'd be going to a Top Wing centre closer to here.'
'That would be nice, yes,' admitted Taz.

Not wanting to make things more overwhelming, Wyndham changed the subject. 'So, what badge are you trying to earn right now?'

Taz grinned. 'I'm doing this map reading task. I follow the map and find two sticks in the shape of a cross. My dad put them in the spot he was directed to by Speedy.'

'Do you have any idea of where we're going?'

'We should be nearly there! I remember I'd spotted two sticks in a cross around here last month, but I never thought too much about it until now ...' Taz's eyes surveyed the vicinity, which was all covered in snow.

'Are you sure this is the right place?' Wyndham questioned.
'There!' Taz jumped, flying towards a tree.
'Um, that's a tree,' Wyndham flew over next to Taz.
'I was coming back from Maple Ridge Charter School northeast of the Petalan Bluff, when I noticed a cross underneath this tree!'

Taz started digging while Wyndham held the tablet. 'It does say it's around here, but Taz ... we're in the Deldosa Woods, there are tons of trees here, how would you know which tree it is?'

'This tree has a branch that already has grape hollies growing right here,' Taz pushed aside the leaves from the branch. 'They're such a lovely burgundy-bronze colour, and make excellent jellies! Too bad they're covered by all this foliage— hey I found it!'

Two sticks in the shape of a cross were indeed in the hole Taz dug. She snapped a photo and pinpointed her location.

Taz looked up at Wyndham, her face glowing. 'Done! I did it!' A badge hologram rose from the tablet, and Speedy's recorded voice emitted: 'You have earned your map reading badge!'

'How does that tablet even work?' Wyndham asked.
'You know, I'm not really sure,' admitted Taz. 'A stork by the name of Sandy delivered it to me. My dad said it was a Top Wing Academy designed tablet to complete my tasks. There's an app on it with a list of tabs for each badge to earn. I just press on the tab, and usually to complete it, I use the camera to send in a photo.'