9 - Getting to Know Each Other

Summary — The cadets have breakfast together at the Lemon Shack, where Tara and the cadets get to know each other better. Maybe it might bring her out of her shell?

a/n: Aha ... so, this chapter is long overdue, but I'm still here! Although I realise it's been three months since I last posted (・_・;)

Tara attempted to sit up as she blinked her eyes open, but fell back down onto her pillow as dizziness overwhelmed her.
'... What time is it?' She mumbled. She turned her head to look at the round windows between Swift, Brody and Rod's bed compartments. It seemed that the sun had just started to rise, rays of light seeping into the room.

'Good morning Tara! How are you cock-a-doodle-doing?' Rod greeted in a whisper from down below.
'Oh, good morning!' Tara tried sitting up again, succeeding in managing to stay upright. 'I'm doing okay, just a little tired. You've woken up early,' said Tara, but Rod was a rooster, so it was only natural that he did so.

'Yup! Gotta get up and running!' He smiled. 'After all, we'll be going to the Lemon Shack! You have to try Rhonda's banana bread when we get there, it is the best!'
'Really?' Tara asked. Rhonda seemed to have an affinity for cooking, and it showed. 'I will then!'
'We should get ready and wait for the cadets! Though, maybe that might take a bit, they really like their sleep,' said Rod. 'And they definitely don't like being woken up too early with loud singing. I'm, uh, speaking from experience ... heh, sorry if it happens next time.'

'No, it's fine,' assured Tara. 'So, what would we do while waiting for the rest of the cadets—' Brody stirred in his sleep. '—to wake up? Which shouldn't be too soon.'
'I can show you all of headquarters?' Rod offered.
'Sure!' Tara flew down from her bed compartment, landing in front of the rooster. 'Let's go!'
-----
'Good morning!' Brody said, Swift yawning as he stretched his arms. He looked up at Tara's bed compartment, the star fairy lights turned off and the sheets neatly made, then looked down to see Rod's empty bed compartment. Hm, maybe they're both early risers? Swift thought, just as the doors of the sleeping quarters slid open to reveal Tara and Rod.

'Oh, good morning!' Rod greeted. 'I was just showing Tara around headquarters before you guys woke up.'
'Morning!' Penny addressed. 'We should go get dressed now,' she turned to Swift and Brody, 'so we can go to the Lemon Shack!'
'Do you want us to wait outside the doors for you?' Tara asked.
'That would be good!' The penguin nodded.
'We'll try not to leave you waiting any longer than you have already,' said Brody, his bed made.
'Ah, it's okay, there's no rush,' smiled Tara.
-----
The cool breeze brushed softly against the warmth of Tara's cheeks. Rod was singing to himself before the doors opened for the cadets.

'Okay, we're ready to go!' Swift said, waiting for Penny to do something.

'Oh! Tara, do you like racing?' Penny asked, turning to Tara.
'Yeah, I do,' replied Tara.

'Sometimes, when we have to get to a place, we like to have a lighthearted race to see who can get there first. And now that you're here, you can join too! Unless you'd prefer not to, then that's okay! So, do you want to race with us?'

Racing for the joy of it?

'Um, sure! I'm up for it!'
'Cool!' Penny grinned. 'We'll race to the Lemon Shack. It's just down the path, you're bound to spot it!'
'On the count of three?' Swift asked, as the rest of the cadets nodded. 'One ... two ... three!'

Tara soared weightlessly, weaving through the trees of the jungle and ducking underneath branches, although she strayed back behind to memorise the direction of the Lemon Shack from headquarters.

Losing was a big no in her mother's book, and there was always a feeling of disappointment if Tara didn't measure up. But in this moment, all she really cared about was playing to the best of her abilities, not about winning ... not about winning ...