Chapter 4

LAURICE

"Now I don't know if I should be scared or glad about being in the room with two royals."

All I could do was give him a smile but I was thinking the exact same thing as him. There's not much to be said so I just introduced myself to him.

"Nice to meet you, Attorney Falco, please call me Lauren."

"Nice to meet you too and you probably already know Christopher here. We're not exactly working together, we just share the same office."

"Yes, I know him," I said when I looked at the other occupied table, "yeah."

As we headed over to Atty. Falco's desk, I couldn't help but look back at the table where Christopher is. My brows furrowed at the stockpile of folders on his table but my attention immediately shifted when Atty. Falco explained what kind of work I will be doing in my short time as his paralegal.

Habang ine-explain n'ya yung mga gagawin ko, all I could think of was, buti na lang dala ko yung sci cal ko. And that I still have all my college professors' presentations in my laptop. I'll be helping him review files and prepare his trials, most of which are about taxes obviously since he's a tax lawyer.

Work started as soon as he finished explaining everything to me.

Pero bakit ganon? I feel stupid reading these papers.

I tried reading it over and over again but these words that sound like a spell uttered by witches or wizards in a fantasy book are not making any sense to me. Ayaw ko i-attempt pa na i-pronounce yung iba. A pentagon might suddenly get engraved on the floor followed by a demon emerging from it since these words are Latin.

I even searched for the terms but understanding it is still a challenge. Why is it worded like this? And why do I not remember these when I literally had a few law subjects in college?

Though some of the terms are familiar, I probably encountered them in my Law on Obligations and Contracts and Business Law subjects but those are now long forgotten in my brain. Wala naman akong balak pumasok ng law school, at least for now. But it's not enough na familiar lang ako sa terms because this is real.

"Lauren?"

My head raised up from the document at hand and saw Christopher visibly surprised. He even stood up from his desk and walked in front of the desk I'm occupying.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I am, but what are you doing here?"

"...working," I said. He didn't notice me earlier? How immersed was he in his readings?

Tumingin ako sa kan'ya at pabalik sa hawak kong document and back to him but I chose to try and understand the document again.

"Do you need help?"

"It's fine, I can manage," I told him with a smile.

"This is going to be quick. I know that seeing case files can be overwhelming, do you mind?"

"If you insist," I gave in.

Umusog naman ako nang kaunti para may space kasi he went to the unoccupied desk to get the chair which he set beside mine. Then I took one sheet of blank bond paper and my pen. My brows furrowed a little when I noticed that he was kind of staring at me but when our eyes met, he smiled and took the folder that I was trying to understand just a few seconds ago.

Christopher then took out his pen and started pointing at some words and phrases. Which I made sure to take note of. Majority of the things he explained were familiar and I ended up remembering thanks to how he explained it.